• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB mounts, but the pictures don't. The old pictures do.

Steevow

Lurker
Mar 14, 2015
I have an Alcatel One Touch Fierce 2, and it's not great. But it's working, mostly.
It sometimes reboots spontaneously. heh. A known problem with this one.
Android 4.42.

I migrated to it mostly using the google backup and with the SDCARD from the old phone.

One annoying problem I have is when I plug it into my computer, and the USB mounts.
My pictures do not mount.
I do get a pictures DCIM folder that mounts, but it's on the SDCARD and it contains pictures that predate this phone.
The pictures in the current phone do not mount, nor are they browsable from the computer.
So I can't get the pictures out of the phone without emailing them to myself.

If I start Gallery I have two camera items, one old and one new.
One has a camera icon and contains only old pictures. It's the one on the SDCARD.
The other has a folder icon and contains current pictures. It's the one in the internal memory.

I think that is backward. And the problem.

The current camera app should be saving on the SDCARD, but it's not.

The funny thing is I don't have a camera APP in the APP list. And if I start the camera APP, and then press menu to go back to the home screen leaving the camera running and then start Advanced Task Killer Free no app named camera is in the list of killable tasks. The camera app works with facebook, meetup, and gallery, but why doesn't it appear on the list? Kernal module now? Maybe.

Something has become scrambled in the file system on this phone, and I badly want to fix it.

Any ideas?

Try attaching your phone as an MTP device. I noticed the same thing when I attached USB, but when I switched to MTP an "ALCATEL ONETOUCH Fierce 2" device became became visible in Windows Explorer. When I expanded it there were two devices beneath it:

- Internal Storage
- SD Card

The SD Card was the device being mounted via USB. The Internal Storage had a similar folder structure/file system including a DCIM folder in which my new pictures taken with the Alcatel could be found.

Hope this helps you.

- john

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones