• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB multiple port travel chargers; had to pull battery last night

Matth3w

Mar 31, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the problem - but it could be...sorry for the long post, but could REALLY use your help - and this is the best place to find it!

Last night I hooked up my Droid to charge on this charger: Amazon.com: Lenmar ACUSB4 AC Travel Adapter for up to 4 USB Powered Devices (Black): Electronics

I went and checked on it later and it was turned off. This was after about 2 hours. The power button wouldn't work and I had to pull the battery to get it to turn on.

So I was thinking that maybe the charger wasn't good enough. Granted, it's not rated all that high but reviews have people charging an iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, and Kindle all at once with it.

It has the 5V output but a lower MA rating (I think 300ma input is what it says). I have another single port charger that only has 500ma (before people come in and say you NEED 800ma or whatever) and it works fine.

Anyhow, I tried to replicate the problem by plugging it back into the charger (I wanted to see if it was the charger, or something I did, like set it down too hard...as I have the business card under the battery trick for the back case, thought maybe I dislodged it and was covering the leads or something), and after 8.5 hours, no problems. Fully charged, it was on this morning when I woke.

I would REALLY prefer to have a multiple USB charger (even if it costs 50 bucks or more) because I travel a TON and have a bunch of USB devices (6+) that need charged.

ANY help you guys can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT:

I did just see this, which I didn't see before:

This charger can only provide enough amps to charge my Droid phone. If I plug more than that in, one of the devices does not charge. Needs to provide up to 4 amps if they're selling it as able to charge 4 devices. I might as well have bought a $5 single device wall charger.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones