• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB no longer working, contact Virgin Mobile or Motorola?

hey all could someone either post a link to or point me to the files I would need to
re-install stock rom/recovery/unroot the phone in the sad eventuality my USB port decides to STB.
I had a scare the other night but it appears my battery calibration app did something rouge and a wipe/re-install fixed that(stopped charging although I got LED and showed in the status as being AC charging but wasn't, very wierd stuff but it happened shortly after running the calibration app) i'm guessing its not likely got the only triumph without a bum port so i want to be ready...

Here: http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/392756-100-stock-nandroid-backup-stock-recovery.html

Reactions: zaphodbblx
Upvote 0
hey guys i am not a pro what so ever with electronic repair i have replaced a few iphone/touch batteries and screens but i am not a pro. so with that being said, i too had trouble with my charging port that progressed worse and worse over a few weeks until it would not charge at all, i got a flash light and looked at the charging port and noticed some corrosion so i got some very fine sand paper and sanded either side of the little tab on the inside and bam! it works now, i can charge and use the usb. BUT corrosion is pretty much unstopable once it begins and will just come back. i figure that is why sometimes at first i had to plug the charger in and out to get it to work the charger was scraping off the corrosion.

also my first triumph had the whole left hand side of the screen turn black and the right had tons of lines going from top to bottom the digitzer still worked cause when i tapped on the area that was blacked out apps would pop up, so i returned it to virgin, after they sent me my replacement phone and i had TG cm7 on there and some apps from questionable sources shall we say. and kept the battery and havent heard a word from them bout anything. my guess is that they have so many of these returned they they dont have time to check them all. my guess about the corrosion is that it has to do with after market chargers or something that has a different metal in it, and it only corrodes when charging, like some kind of Galvanic corrosion in boats propellers

Upvote 0
hey guys i am not a pro what so ever with electronic repair i have replaced a few iphone/touch batteries and screens but i am not a pro. so with that being said, i too had trouble with my charging port that progressed worse and worse over a few weeks until it would not charge at all, i got a flash light and looked at the charging port and noticed some corrosion so i got some very fine sand paper and sanded either side of the little tab on the inside and bam! it works now, i can charge and use the usb. BUT corrosion is pretty much unstopable once it begins and will just come back. i figure that is why sometimes at first i had to plug the charger in and out to get it to work the charger was scraping off the corrosion.

also my first triumph had the whole left hand side of the screen turn black and the right had tons of lines going from top to bottom the digitzer still worked cause when i tapped on the area that was blacked out apps would pop up, so i returned it to virgin, after they sent me my replacement phone and i had TG cm7 on there and some apps from questionable sources shall we say. and kept the battery and havent heard a word from them bout anything. my guess is that they have so many of these returned they they dont have time to check them all. my guess about the corrosion is that it has to do with after market chargers or something that has a different metal in it, and it only corrodes when charging, like some kind of Galvanic corrosion in boats propellers

One thing I'm not surprised that the digitizer still worked that is a problem with the lcd underneath the digitizer... All the digitizer is, is a then clear digital grid that tracks fingers and inputs.

Anyways, that is an interesting theory about corrosion... I'll have to take a look at mine and see if there is any corrosion... Mine still charges, but its getting a bit touchy... :/. It seems that it is possible especially with peoples phones heating up while charging... That is going to make the charger port hotter and allow for rust to appear faster... That is if they used steel, instead of stainless steel anyways...

Edit: This is off topic, but talking about the digitizer... if the axis crossing is a hardware problem could it be that the digitizer is the part that has a problem, and replacing it with a better built digitizer, might get rid of the axis snapping?

Upvote 0
Anyways, that is an interesting theory about corrosion... I'll have to take a look at mine and see if there is any corrosion... Mine still charges, but its getting a bit touchy... :/. It seems that it is possible especially with peoples phones heating up while charging... That is going to make the charger port hotter and allow for rust to appear faster... That is if they used steel, instead of stainless steel anyways...[/QUOTE]

yeah and with the battery life on this phone i am sure a lot of people are using after market chargers at work, in the car ETC. also if you are only using one charger look inside the tip of it as well i found some corrosion in there as well not sure if it was from scraping stuff off or not. also there have been TONS of manufacturing problems with the phone so just so it worked for me does not mean that your phone has the exact same problem. also i live int the foothills of CA away from the coast and not much humidity to speak of. IDK why it was corroding exactly

and yup on the digitizer just wanted to mention so ya didnt think i dropped it

Upvote 0
Edit: This is off topic, but talking about the digitizer... if the axis crossing is a hardware problem could it be that the digitizer is the part that has a problem, and replacing it with a better built digitizer, might get rid of the axis snapping?[/QUOTE]

i would think so i have bought cheap digitizers off amazon for my kids ipod touches and regretted it the ones that are 5 bucks more are way better, the cheap ones have dead zones and crap like that, but where ya gonnna find one? you have another phone with the same screen dimensions and ribbon cable location and connector?

Upvote 0
i would think so i have bought cheap digitizers off amazon for my kids ipod touches and regretted it the ones that are 5 bucks more are way better, the cheap ones have dead zones and crap like that, but where ya gonnna find one? you have another phone with the same screen dimensions and ribbon cable location and connector?

Well no, and unless I got another Triumph I wouldn't do it... But there has to be a phone that has the same screen size as ours that doesn't have the snapping issue... Maybe if I ever get another Triumph I'll look more into it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones