1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support USB Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by digitool, Feb 23, 2011.

1. digitool

digitool Member

I've been searching for quite a while for an answer to this freaking riddle and I cannot find it! The other threads on here that I've found have answers that just don't work for me so I'll explain my issue and HOPEFULLY someone can help me out. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice.

On my home computer, I was able to connect via USB and transfer songs etc. when I first got the phone, with little problems. It would sometimes all the sudden not be able to detect the phone on USB anymore and not show my device in the removable storage. A restart / reconnect would fix it and I could load what didn't get loaded and get going. Frustrating, but at this point I'd love to be able to do that again. Out of nowhere it just flat doesn't recognize my phone. I connect it to the USB and windows (vista x64 on my machine) gives me the error on the device.

When that started happening I took my work laptop (running windows 7) and connected it to my home network and shared what I wanted to transfer and hooked up to it and my work laptop recognized everything fine and would do the transfer, so I was content with this.

Then, my work laptop began giving me the same problems as my home computer, and now I can't get it to become recognized on either one, no matter which USB ports I try, and I've even updated the drivers on both machines.

I walk into my room mates room, plug into his computer and ask him to check it for me, and every time it is RECOGNIZED and can transfer data much more quickly and never has an issue (he's using xp pro).

So, it isn't my device that is causing these problems, it isn't the cable that I'm using because it works with my room mates computer, it isn't the USB ports, it isn't the drivers, ... what is it?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

-Tyler.

***also, FWIW, it doesn't work in debugging mode or not in debugging mode... neither affect it***

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Try a different cable.

3. digitool

digitool Member

I have used 2 different cables. And both of these different cables work on my room mates computer, and neither work on my home and work computers.

4. digitool

digitool Member

This really has me perplexed, has anyone had this issue before? It's absolutely killing me, and has been the past few days...

5. seajai14

seajai14 Lurker

I have this same problem. Maybe this will help. I have a Samsung Fascinate. I believe mine is my USB port - but - I went to verizon store and got this info. Your laptop may have done a recent Windows update in which you will now need to update your phone's driver on your laptop. In my case, I went to Samsung.com, searched for my phone and update the new/latest driver. They have told me this will fix it.

6. digitool

digitool Member

Yeah, I had updated my drivers during the fiasco and I still hadn't been able to get anything to work.

It just makes no sense how it can work on my friends' machine, but neither of the computers (work and home computer) work.

It's definitely a difficult one to figure out.

7. I don't know if it's my card, but when I connect my phone to my PC (Windows 7 32-bit), it says that the drive is empty. When I try to drag a file to it, it says that the drive does not exist anymore.

8. digitool

digitool Member

taekwondo have you tried a different computer? possibly running xp?

so far my problem has only existed on vista and 7

9. Armandoban

Armandoban Lurker

This happens to me on a laptop with six USB ports. I get "USB Device Not Recognized" on a regular basis. I can move it from one port to another and eventually it works.

One thing that does help but kills my battery is to turn off the internal USB root hub power management. In XP there's a checkbox in device manager / USB Controllers / power management "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and when you deselect it, it helps. Not sure if it's the same in Vista/7..

10. Nope, every computer in the house runs Windows 7. But I will try my mom's laptop and the PC anyways. I'll keep you updated.

11. Alright I am on my mom's laptop. It recognizes the card, but it gives me the option of scanning and fixing it. Does this mean that it is corrupt in some way? I'm actually able to see all of its contents.

12. digitool

digitool Member

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think that because the last time your card was unplugged from a computer that it was recognized by, it wasn't properly "ejected" or "unmounted" which CAN POSSIBLY lead to some stray data or file corruption. It might be wise to scan it, but not format it unless there is a severe error with the card.

In fact, I wonder what happens if you scan to fix, then try it again on your machine? I just wonder if that "corruption" was keeping it from being able to connect to your machine, and if that is the case, I'll plug into my roommates computer and scan my card and see if it works on mine.

Let me know if you try that.

13. I forgot to mention that even when trying different memory cards (that weren't corrupt in any way) it still failed to recognize the device. Also, if I put the Samsung card in a card reader on my laptop, it picks it up. It is definitely something to do with the driver on my computer. I tried reinstalling it but no luck.

14. digitool

digitool Member

Well, I got it working with windows 7, randomly it asked to scan for problems, so of course I let it do its thing, then it said no problems detected and it started working... so I hooked it up to my desktop running vista, and it was working!

So then, just before updating to froyo, both machines wouldn't recognize it all over again... I somehow lucked into it finally recognizing after fiddling with plugging it in here and there and then it worked, got the upgrade, but now it doesn't connect on my vista machine yet will connect on my windows 7 machine...

*sigh* this is just a funky little issue, lol.

15. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast

Have you tried another cable?