• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB not working, will charge phone but will not mount or ask to mount etc

steven868

Lurker
May 9, 2010
I recently purchased an 8gb sdmicro card for my samsung moment, which i put in my phone, then got home tried to hook it up to my pc with the usb cable...nothning happened, but i got this error warning or so talking about usb malfunction or something, heres a screen shot of what i saw popped up.
do i need to install new usb drivers for the phone?
also i can hear the pc making that dun dun,... dun dun sound when u plug in a usb device, but it keeps doing it over and over... while the phones charing thru it.

Attachments

• momentusb.jpg
    momentusb.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 381
Restart your phone, and make sure USB Debugging is checked off if you are using a PC.

1. Restart your Android phone. (This step may be skipped by some users; others will find the computer doesn’t recognize the phone’s SD card without a restart of the phone.)
  2. Plug your USB cord that came with the phone to the phone, and connect to the Mac.
  3. Go to Settings > Applications > Development on your phone and click on USB Debugging (if you're using a Mac, off if you are using a PC).
  4. Drag down the notifications window and click on USB Connection. Click on Mount.
  5. Now you’ll see the drive “No Name” on your desktop. You can now copy files to/from your SD drive.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I am having a problem with mine as well. I recently bought a new 8gig SD card and was trying to change it out, buy I keep having to restart my phone to get it to connect to my pc.

I connect the phone via usb to my pc I get the dun dun sound and even the box that pops up shoing that the pc is reading the files but then nothing happens. So I unhook my phone restart it and try again. I finally get it hooked up to the phone where i can open the files on my phone. I noticed that if the phone goes into sleep mode it breaks the connection with the pc, and I have to repete the steps above all over again.

Once I have it connected I slide down the notifications bar and click on the mount option, and start to copy over files from my phone to my pc, but when I am done I slide down the bar again and select (uh can't remember exact wording, but something like turn off usb mass storage. However I get a warning message that says to make sure and unmount the SD card before doing so, but I don't see anywhere to unmount the SD card). So i have no choice but to just select turn off usb mass storage device.

This whole process seems to be a pain in the butt to just copy over simple pictures to my pc. I also noticed that there are two diffrent folders (that i have found so far) that seem to have pictures in it. The camera folder, and a folder called downloaded. Do I have to copy both those folders over to my pc so that I can later move them back to my phone with the new SD card?? If so does it matter if I put them all in the same folder or do i have to keep them seperate? Is there anything else I need to copy over to my pc before changing out the SD card?

Upvote 0
turn off usb debugging on android or pc b/c im havein the same problem i have a brand new HP windows 8 pavilion g7 pc and 2 brand new usb cords with 4 usb ports
thank u in advance please all its doing is charging and i've tried 4 different cords and just now went out and bought another one it dont even recignize that i plugged anything in the pc but the phone does charge do there not broke its not possible the pc is only 2 months old

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones