1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB OTG duel connection

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by JAy3001, Apr 30, 2019.

1. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

If you were to connect a duel USB OTG dongle or cable to your smart phone could you connect 2 devices at the same time such as a keyboard and mouse?

I am thinking yes, but am not sure. When reading the specs it would appear so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Just not sure if additional software would be required.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I was asking myself the very same question recently. The fact that multi port OTG cables exist, seems to indicate it's possible.

I was also wondering about the possibilities of connecting up an external monitor to my phone.

3. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Blooming auto correct added "fuel" to my title. :p

Would be nice to find out @LV426 If nobody has any experience in this I might just have to buy one and try it out myself..

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Fixed. :)

JAy3001 and Deleted User like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

6. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Whenever ive had to do it... I have a little usb hub that goes in... And i use it that way.

7. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

8. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

JAy3001 likes this.
  9. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

My device arrived today so will give it a test later. Thanks for the information @kate :)

10. Paul Keenan

Paul Keenan Lurker

So, to take it one step further, if I need to also charge my cell phone while using a mouse and keyboard through a USB hub connected to my phone's OTG cable, will something like IoGear's GUH3C4PD work? In other words, use a cell phone instead of the laptop in the diagram below. Or could this damage the phone? Also, would it be better to use a powered USB hub? BTW, I connected a standard USB hub to my cell's OTG input and I was able to use a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard just fine. However, that hub did not provide the Power Delivery "pass through" so I am curious if the below connection would play nice with an Android cell. TIA for any feedback.
    IoGear_GUH3C4PD.jpg

:oops: ... I just realized that the USB-C output cable on the hub is not OTG so the cell phone would not behave like a host but it would remain as a peripheral ... this would probably damage the cell phone :eek: ... unless ... Could I connect my OTG cable to the phone and then, somehow, connect the USB-C hub output to the free end of the OTG cable ??????? :thinking:

#10 Paul Keenan, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019