• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB OTG duel connection

JAy3001

Android Expert
Dec 13, 2010
UK
If you were to connect a duel USB OTG dongle or cable to your smart phone could you connect 2 devices at the same time such as a keyboard and mouse?

I am thinking yes, but am not sure. When reading the specs it would appear so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Attaching two OTG-enabled devices together requires either an adapter in conjunction with the slave device's USB-A cable, or an appropriate dual-sided cable and a software implementation to manage it. This is becoming commonplace with USB Type-C devices.

Just not sure if additional software would be required.

Upvote 0
Reactions: JAy3001
Upvote 0
So, to take it one step further, if I need to also charge my cell phone while using a mouse and keyboard through a USB hub connected to my phone's OTG cable, will something like IoGear's GUH3C4PD work? In other words, use a cell phone instead of the laptop in the diagram below. Or could this damage the phone? Also, would it be better to use a powered USB hub? BTW, I connected a standard USB hub to my cell's OTG input and I was able to use a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard just fine. However, that hub did not provide the Power Delivery "pass through" so I am curious if the below connection would play nice with an Android cell. TIA for any feedback.
IoGear_GUH3C4PD.jpg

:oops: ... I just realized that the USB-C output cable on the hub is not OTG so the cell phone would not behave like a host but it would remain as a peripheral ... this would probably damage the cell phone :eek: ... unless ... Could I connect my OTG cable to the phone and then, somehow, connect the USB-C hub output to the free end of the OTG cable ??????? :thinking:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones