• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB OTG for Nexus 4

Yeah I read about that a few hours ago. I thought it was great until I read about the hardware problem that the Nexus 4's micro USB port can't generate enough power. It would be nice to be able to use a flash drive, but I don't want to have to also use a power supply. I've actually never used my USB OTG cable. Just something I bought just to have when I had a phone it worked on in case I wanted to use it.

Upvote 0
You gonna give it a go? I was a little miffed when I found out OTG didn't work, but I think I'm making do atm.
If I'd have a Nexus 4 I'd give that a try :)

My HTC One X got OTG ability with its update to Jelly Bean. I had waited for this feature eagerly and I love now to use it with thumb drives.
I was pleased to read that the Nexus 4 got the chance of OTG ability and thought that it's worth a post :)

Harry

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
It works very well, but yes, power is needed. In the car, I get the power while the battery also charges. One y cable provides the OTG and power. If you want access to flash drives/sd cards without cables and power, this device works and is a power bank, also. My only issue with it so far (I haven't had it long) is that it doesn't interface with my MovieGallery app. It does interface with MX Player, ESPlayer, and one other--can't remember. The device is not available through alternate file managers but has its own. The software, hopefully, will be improved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones