1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support USB OTG host mode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by IanWorthington, May 15, 2012.

1. IanWorthington

None

Aug 26, 2011
    Just bought a USB OTG host adapter. Was expecting to just plug it in, followed by a USB stick, and be able to access it, but I'm getting nothing.

Do I need to do something to enable USB host mode or have I got a duff adapter?

i

Advertisement

2. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    Are you using a custom ROM? Many of them don't have OTG support.

Also try plugging your USB stick into the OTG adapter first, then plug the OTG adapter into the i9100. In my experience, that gets better results than the sequence you described.

3. IanWorthington

None

Aug 26, 2011
    No, the stock ROM, v2.3.4.

Tried the order you suggested but still nothing. Shouldn't I see some activity in the notification bar just plugging in the adapter?

4. gurg12

gurg12 Lurker
    None

May 17, 2012
    I'm having the exact same problem. plugging an external hard drive in with the host adapter the hard drives' led lights up for a second then goes very dull. nothing shows up in the notification bar. Sorry to add to the thread, but I didn't think it would make sense to make another one!

5. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    Note that the i9100's USB port doesn't provide much current -- hard drives take lots of current to start spinning. If you used an external power source for your hard drive, you might get better results.

6. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Are you accessing the USB thumb drive with a file manager? MyFiles or a downloaded app like ES File Explorer. Once you are in the /sdcard/ folders, go to the folder usbStorage and under there as usbdriveA, B, etc. up to D four devices. Usually under usbdriveA you will find all your files in the root folder of the thumb drive.

To plug in a Hard drive, the phone does not have enough power to run it. OTG plugged in to a hard drive should work if the external drive is external powered from someother supply and not drawing power from the phone?

wrench likes this.
  7. IanWorthington

None

Aug 26, 2011
    From My Files. I checked the usbstorage folder and there's nothing mounted.

According to Samsung Galaxy S2 USB OTG demo - YouTube just plugging in the adapter should get a "USB host cable connected" message. I don't get that.

I take it there's nothing I have to in the settings to activate this then?

i