1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Usb otg?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by me10lee83, Jan 11, 2013.

1. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    I ordered a USB OTG cable, and am wondering if there's any apps that will allow me to browse the contents of an SD card without having the phone rooted.

All the ones I've found seem to require rooting (some say they don't, but then it doesn't work)

Advertisement

2. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009

You can browse out of the box w/o root required. USB cable is all you need (just be careful...3 out of 4 cables I have will charge the phone, but only one will let me mount the SD cards)

3. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    What cable do you use for browsing the SD card? Maybe that's my problem.

4. hansangb

None

Nov 17, 2009
    Mine is just the one that came with my motorola phone. Either the MAXX or Bionic.

5. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    Turns out the cable works, I was just using a special SD card that requires more power than usual (an Eye-Fi card) so that's prob why it wasn't working, tried a USB thumb drive and it worked.

Next question is back to the app though. I'm currently using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.goprasoft.usb.manager It works well for recognizing the device, but whenever I disconnect it my phone goes a little crazy- sometimes apps stop responding, sometimes it freezes, sometimes it reboots itself. I'm thinking maybe the device needs to be ejected first, but that's not an option in the app. I've tried this app as well https://play.google.com/store/apps/...droid.usbhostcontroller&feature=search_result, but it never makes it past loading. Most of the others I'm seeing when I search the Play store for "USB OTG" say root required.

Also, the built-in file browser can't see the external device. Are 3rd party file browser apps able to do this? If there's photos/videos on the device, they show up in Gallery, but I'd like to be able to copy files from the external device onto my internal microSD card.

6. hansangb

None

Nov 17, 2009
    I heard good things about airdroid. Check it out.

7. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    Airdroid does certainly seem like a cool/useful app, but it doesn't appear to have anything to do with USB OTG, unless I'm missing something...