• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Port Fix Solution

Vyrus69

Android Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2011
Miami, FL
Ok guys I bought an EVO 4G off of ebay and I've fixed everything on the phone except for the wonderful USB port that fell off.

Now it was a pretty clean break so it didn't pull anything off of the board. Since I'm on MetroPCS I can't provision the phone completely without fixing the port.

My question would be this, since I don't have a micro heat gun to heat just this area on the board, do you guys think the oven trick could possibly work on the phone to melt the solder enough and reconnect the usb port?
Would it mess up the camera or anything? Not sure, I need some suggestions to see if this would be a stupid idea, a smart idea, or should I just cut my losses and re-sell?

I need help ladies and gentleman.

Ok guys I bought an EVO 4G off of ebay and I've fixed everything on the phone except for the wonderful USB port that fell off.

Now it was a pretty clean break so it didn't pull anything off of the board. Since I'm on MetroPCS I can't provision the phone completely without fixing the port.

My question would be this, since I don't have a micro heat gun to heat just this area on the board, do you guys think the oven trick could possibly work on the phone to melt the solder enough and reconnect the usb port?
Would it mess up the camera or anything? Not sure, I need some suggestions to see if this would be a stupid idea, a smart idea, or should I just cut my losses and re-sell?

I need help ladies and gentleman.

no clue on this one. i think that the oven would melt other things as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones