1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support USB port won't recognise mouse

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by annk, Aug 7, 2011.

1. annk

annk Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Library dept. head
    Norway
    My apologies if this has been asked elsewhere. I searched but didn't find...

The USB ports on my two-week-old TF (just updated to 3.2 with no apparent problems) won't recognise USB mice. They'll recognise and deal with my camera and my Yamaha Pockettrak 2G (as an external USB device), so they aren't dead.

I've tried two mice - An A4 Tech and an Apple - both of which work find on my iMac and Asus eeePC.

It also won't recognise my Samsung G2S2 phone. :eek: The phone tells me it's connected and that I can transfer files, but I don't see it in the notification bar.

I seem to remember that I plugged a mouse into the dock one of the first days I had it and it worked, but I was jet lagged and busy at the time, so I can't actually be sure of that. :eek:

Any ideas? Being able to plug in a mouse is important to me in certain circumstances...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. AutobahnSHO

AutobahnSHO Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Weird. Try unplugging the mouse, restarting the transformer with the dock attached, adding the mouse. If that doesn't work, try the OTHER USB port. You're not trying with a hub, are you?

I've had several different mice work with mine, from logitech cordless to Dell corded with a keyboard also.

3. annk

annk Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Library dept. head
    Norway
    I'm not trying with a hub, and I've tried both ports. I've tried plugging the corded mice in before I power up, after I power up, and I've tried doing a restart with the mouse plugged in.

My BT Apple mouse works fine. :thinking: It's actually enough for me - I just want to be able to use a mouse - but I'm concerned this means other things may be wrong with the ports. The fact that my Android phone recognises that it's plugged into the USB ports but the TF doesn't see it adds to my concern.

I'll try an external corded keyboard and see how that works...

Edit: The corded Apple keyboard wasn't recognised by either port.

4. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    KCMO
    I should be getting my TF back from Asus tomo and can try out one of my mice and see how it goes. I think they are sending a brand new unit which means I can try it both before and after 3.2. Will let you know what I find.

5. annk

annk Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Library dept. head
    Norway
    Thanks for your answers, and I'll be interested in hearing any other experiences with this issue. Today I tried a Logitech mouse (an old one, corded), and it works fine. I also tried a Dell corded keyboard, and it works as well.

So I'm guessing this isn't a case of faulty USB ports, thank goodness, but rather some not-yet-worked-out bugs in Honeycomb. As long as I can find a corded mouse that works and the ports recognise other peripherals, I'm good. I just didn't want to have to go to the hassle of returning it (I'm back home in Norway now, but I bought the tablet and dock in the US).

The only thing I have yet to figure out is why the tablet doesn't see my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. The phone works great with the tablet as a wifi hotspot, it's only when it's connected via USB that I have problems (PDANet doesn't work via USB, for example).

By the way and for the record, the problems I've described here were happening both with 3.1 and 3.2. My dock firmware is the most recent as far as I've been able to see from reading this forum.