• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB printing?

Upvote 0
What printer do you have?

Pay app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamixsoftware.printershare

Only bad reviews are because it's free to download, in app purchase to print. 12.95.
Haven't tried it. I was looking at the cannon printer app, and all the reviews are people crying because all you can do with that is print pics and use the scanner wireless.....

Yep, seen the wireless print apps, but I have a Dell laserjet without wifi, only wired USB so was wanting to use that to print if needed. Going to need a linux printer driver I'm pretty sure. maybe a generic postscript driver would work. Still looking around.

Upvote 0
Reviews say they were able to print USB with dongle

You have a link? I have USB OTG dongle, recognizes a USB device but not as a printer. Perhaps I need to use terminal with the lpt command and set up the printer via unix?

I only know basically, but could Google it I guess. But any strong Linux sys admins maybe help with that it would be greatly appreciated. The Dell laserjet I have can be used as generic postscript printer, although there would be some things that wouldn't format correctly I'm sure. Most would though.

TIA

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What printer do you have?

Pay app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamixsoftware.printershare

Only bad reviews are because it's free to download, in app purchase to print. 12.95.
Haven't tried it. I was looking at the cannon printer app, and all the reviews are people crying because all you can do with that is print pics and use the scanner wireless.....

I've used this app, bought paid version a long time ago. Just spits blank pages with my Brother DCP7065DN, but works with a old HP Laser jet 1000. over Wi-Fi so its kind of a shot in the dark. The publisher itself is also very rude in dealing with costumers and difficult to get a hold of.
If you miss the Google return window and it doesn't work for you kiss your money goodby.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to set up your printer as a Google Cloud printer, via your PC? Then not only could you print wirelessly, but you wouldn't even need to be on your home network to do it...

I think I need static ip's for that don't I? Everyone has 192.168.x.x internals and if I use my providers ip, hows it know which 192 to go to from there?

If anyone has a link on how that can be done with dynamic ip's I'd appreciate that. Any info would help, but really just a printer driver so I can plug my USB laserjet into the Nex7 would be much simpler I would think.

Still looking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones