• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Problem

Communist

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
My DHD is nuts! When calling speaker turns on. Locations App pops up very often. But that's not it. My PC wont recognize the phone as a Disk drive. Phone just starts charging and that's it. But when I turn on Debugging mode ADB sees my device and I can reboot to Hboot for example but then PC won't see it again.
And the funny part is that if I unmount my SD card the phone shows that I have connected it to PC. Then I plug in my USB cable and a miracle appears. HTC Sync finaly sees my phone. What can be wrong with my phone? Also USB cable is not the case cuz my friend also has DHD and he's phone connects fine to PC. I hope you can understand me. Thanks.

Thanks) Funny part is that when I take out the SD card, phone shows USB connection even if the cable is not plugged in. If I plug in the cable then and change connection type to Sync then HTC Sync recognizes the phone. But if I try to change the connection type without cable plugged in, it says that I need to connect it to PC. If I connect it after that, phone won't be recognized. Well it's really hard to explain but I hope you understood me)

Upvote 0
I take it your DHD is unrooted? Have you tried a factory reset? I know you've probably tried that but it can sort a lot of problems out. Never heard of such weird behavior from a DHD before. As you've cleaned the USB port it could be a hardware problem. Has it always done this, or has it just started. Have you installed an app that could cause this issue? I know it shouldn't but you just never know.

Upvote 0
... I noticed if I move charger connector in USB port to the sides Locations keep popping up.

This might not be a miracle :)

This larger microUSB plug might be a microUSB A type. Such connectors often have jumped 4&5 pins for to force USB devices in USB host mode. An USB OTG cable has the same effect.

With their non USB OTG phones HTC had used these pins, jumped with a resistance, in docks, for to force the phone in dock mode (= Locations pops up).

Harry

Upvote 0
Looking at other posts with similar problems as yours it all points to the USB port. I know you've cleaned yours but I must stress it needs doing a few times. A tooth pick or cocktail stick are ideal. Yes I understand about your usb cable works with your mates DHD but the cable isn't the problem. Some have tried a Nokia micro usb cable and it appears to work. Even the slightest bit of dirt of dust will cause a short thus causing the problems you're having. If you feel your USB port is totally clean then you might have an actual hardware fault with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones