• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB & SD card adaptors

If this is the Samsung USB kit (link doesn't work), then you should be able to use it for almost anything. The kit includes a microSD to SD card adapter, SD card reader and USB OTG adapter. It plugs in through the charge port and will be recognized by the Note 10.1. It will see extra storage as USB storage. Just make sure you disconnect/unmount the USB storage before removing it from the Note 10.1.

The SD card reader and USB OTG adapter can be used with the microSD already in the device. The USB OTG apdapter can be used with a USB hub to connect a wired keyboard, mouse or USB flash key (dependent on power draw; may or may not work simultaneously).

Or you can connect an external HDD (only FAT32 or exFAT format though; NTFS will not work) with an external power source (the Note 10.1 cannot power the device on its own).

Reactions: toby53
Upvote 0
I have a related question. I received a GT-N8013 today and have inserted a microSD card. I want to transfer files from/to my PC. However, I can't find a way to connect the Note so that I can get to the ExtSD card (the current and erroneous name for the card in the SD card slot). I find that when I connect the Note I have only two USB connection choices -- Media Device or Camera. AND no matter which one I choose, my PC sees it as a camera. That wouldn't be so bad, but I can't get to the REAL SD card (the one in the slot).

Every other Android I have when the device is connected to USB, a dialog pops up that gives options like Charge Only, Disk Drive, Media Sync and sometimes others. But not the Note.

How do I do that so that my PC will see the "Ext" SD card? On the Note itself I can get to it fine, but I need for my PC to see it Oh, yes, my PC is running Win XP w/SP3 -- if that makes a difference.

BTW I realize I could copy the files I want to transfer to a special folder in the Note's internal memory (the one my PC sees) and then move them to the ExtSD. And I could do the same going in the other direction, but that takes extra time and for certain job related reasons, time is crucial. Therefore, I need to have as direct, simple and fast a way to transfer files from one machine to another.

Can anyone help? Please hurry. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have a related question. I received a GT-N8013 today and have inserted a microSD card. I want to transfer files from/to my PC. However, I can't find a way to connect the Note so that I can get to the ExtSD card (the current and erroneous name for the card in the SD card slot). I find that when I connect the Note I have only two USB connection choices -- Media Device or Camera. AND no matter which one I choose, my PC sees it as a camera. That wouldn't be so bad, but I can't get to the REAL SD card (the one in the slot).

Every other Android I have when the device is connected to USB, a dialog pops up that gives options like Charge Only, Disk Drive, Media Sync and sometimes others. But not the Note.

How do I do that so that my PC will see the "Ext" SD card? On the Note itself I can get to it fine, but I need for my PC to see it Oh, yes, my PC is running Win XP w/SP3 -- if that makes a difference.

BTW I realize I could copy the files I want to transfer to a special folder in the Note's internal memory (the one my PC sees) and then move them to the ExtSD. And I could do the same going in the other direction, but that takes extra time and for certain job related reasons, time is crucial. Therefore, I need to have as direct, simple and fast a way to transfer files from one machine to another.

Can anyone help? Please hurry. Thanks.

Why don't you just put the SD in your PC? way faster data transfer...

Also are you using Kies? Download and use Kies from Samsung's website and it will make your life way easier!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones