• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Setting and Kies Software Error

b_tisler

Lurker
Dec 25, 2010
Thank you in advance for any help with my problem. I just got my new Samsung Captivate and its COOL! I installed the kies mini and did the requested updates and the phone rebooted and kies will not connect. The USB Settings has the following options: Kies (Firmware update) Media player Mass storage Ask on connection If I choose the first it does nothing, the PC will at least acknowledge the other two options. Kies just says to connect in Kies mode... Did I screw up my new toy? I un-installed Kies and even rest the phone to factory settings.

I talked with Samsung and they gave me a link to a better KIES Mini version that indeed connect my phone. However, they said that the larger KIES package is not yet released as many of you know. Here is the chat text of my support call, I hope it helps someone!

Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: All Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.
info: You are now chatting with 'Catherine'
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?[/SIZE]
Bruce: Hello my SGH-I897ZKAATT will not connect to the sync Kies software. It seems that the kies mode on the phone is wrong. It says kies (firmware update)
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I understand that you are looking to connect your Captivate phone to KIES application to Sync data to PC.[/SIZE]
Bruce: yes
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I understand your requirement but complete version of Samsung KIES application available as of now is not recommended or provided for Samsung Galaxy S USA models.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Samsung KIES mini is the only application available on Samsung.com for Samsung USA models as of now and this only to update the phone software.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I can understand how this can be for you, I'll forward a copy of this chat transcript to our product development team to proceed further in this regard.[/SIZE]
Bruce: OK but both applications respond the same.
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I understand but Samsung KIES mini application available for Samsung Galaxy S models is only to update the Software on your phone, please let me know if you have tried using the KIES mini application available on Samsung.com for your phone.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I see that an update for GPS performance on your phone is available at this moment and we will be able to get this update with KIES mini application of your phone.[/SIZE]
Bruce: that is where i started and when the connection issues began.
Bruce: KIES Mini will not recognize the phone after and update Mini preformed
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused, I recommend you to please click on the weblink below to download and install the Samsung KIES mini application that is recommended for your phone as of now:[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...0737296/Kies_Mini_For_Captivate_10082_8_1.exe[/SIZE]
Bruce: under application and under usb settings my options are KIES (Firmware Update), and Mass Storage, and Multi media none of them will allow a proper connection.
Bruce: Thanks I have that version
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Yes, USB settings on your phone only have Samsung KIES(Firmware update) option as this mode is only to update the Software on your phone as of now .[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I understand your requirement but Samsung Galaxy S USA Models are not compatible with complete version of KIES application at this time.[/SIZE]
Bruce: Yes but the KIES Mini is requesting a different mode that is not available. I am not using the full application.
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry, may I know the complete error message when you connect the phone to KIES mini application on your PC?[/SIZE]
Bruce: A pop up appears and says to choose KIES mode, The current mode is not supported. It than disconnects.
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I will be right with you.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Thank you, please disconnect the phone from PC and Tap on Applications--> Settings--> About Phone--> USB settings and Select Ask On Connection option.[/SIZE]
Bruce: OK 1min please
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Sure, thank you.[/SIZE]
Bruce: OK I installed the KIES Mini version from you and did select ask on connection and something new happened! it sees my phone and is asking to upgrade the phone?
Bruce: should I proceed?
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Yes, your phone can upgraded with Samsung KIES Mini application provided above.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Please let me know if you have the name of the update mentioned on your PC now.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I didn't mean to rush you, are we still connected on chat?[/SIZE]
Bruce: Yes, However, Mini says it failed to connect to the model information server
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Okay, please on Applications--> Settings--> About phone and check if Base band version on your phone is JH7.[/SIZE]
Bruce: It says I897UCJH7
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Thank you, I see that your phone is already having the GPS performance update, JH7 is the update version available for your phone as of now.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I see that there are no other updates available for your phone at this time to allow KIES mini to get the update.[/SIZE]
Bruce: OK, the KIES Mini is only for updates? Is it required for moving files like music?
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] No, we will be able to transfer files Media Files(Music, Video and pictures) with Mass storage mode.[/SIZE]
Bruce: Please stand by
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Sure, you will have removable disk in My computer on your PC when the phone is connected in Mass storage mode to your PC.[/SIZE]
Bruce: Thank you, However when i connect using only the mass media option without using KIES Mini I am not able to access the drives... When I use the KIES software and in Kies mode the auto-play pops up and is working. Do I have a USB Driver issue than?
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I am sorry, I understand that you are not able to access the removable disk when connecting the phone to PC in Mass storage mode am I correct?[/SIZE]
Bruce: Yes
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Thank you for confirming, please connect the phone to PC in Mass storage mode and let me know if you have a USB connected Notification in notification area on your phone.[/SIZE]
Bruce: I get an Icon on the top left of the phone. Not like the big graphic when I connect using KIES
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I understand, please Pull down the Notification bar from the top of your phone and check if you have "USB connected--Select to transfer files to/from PC" notification is available.[/SIZE]
Bruce: Yes it is
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Thank you, please tap on that notification and you will have Mount option on your phone.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Please select Mount option and you will have the Auto-play pop-up menu on your PC now.[/SIZE]
Bruce: Catherine it works! Thanks you for your help. But 1 last question. Is there any options to sync my outlook?
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] You're welcome, yes we will be able to Sync a outlook account to your phone but not with a Wired connection.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] We need to Sync the Outlook account to a G-mail account(with the options available on Outlook and G-mail) and then configure that G-mail account on your Phone to get both G-mail and Outlook account data(Contacts, Calendar, E-mails, Events).[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] I see that there are no configurable options available for Samsung Captivate phone to Sync with a outlook account directly as of now and we need to use a G-mail account for this.[/SIZE]
Bruce: I see, I will take up that issue at a latter date. Thank you again for all your help!
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?[/SIZE]
Bruce: No, Have a nice day!
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] Thank you, Thank you for your patience.[/SIZE]
Catherine:[SIZE=+0] It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day![/SIZE]
info: Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones