• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB stuck in charge only

H

Huawei P8

Hi everyone,

Need some help here please. Starting off, I'm using a Huawei P8 great phone just stuck at the moment. Basically few months back in the notifications pull down when you connect your phone via USB cable it gives you the option to have charge only, PTP and MTTP if I remember rightly (correct me if I'm wrong). And well I selected charge only because I only wanted to charge the phone whilst connected to my college computer. Few days after I decided to transfer to pictures over from my recent holiday to the PC, only to find there was no drop down option appearing (automatically choosing charge only) could someone please help me change this and get the options back when I connect my phone via USB. *also side note I tried USB debugging but it's greyed out for some reason :(

Thanks in advance

If you're using Windows, I take it it's not doing any USB connection/disconnection sounds and taskbar indications, like "USB device connected". Are you using the same USB cable as before, when it worked? If you are, check it anyway, try another cable. Also be aware if you are using a different cable, some usually cheapo USB cables might be wired for charging only, and NOT data transfers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're using Windows, I take it it's not doing any USB connection/disconnection sounds and taskbar indications, like "USB device connected". Are you using the same USB cable as before, when it worked? If you are, check it anyway, try another cable. Also be aware if you are using a different cable, some usually cheapo USB cables might be wired for charging only, and NOT data transfers.

Agree, almost certainly the cable. In fact I had this exact problem last night with my Nexus 5. Connected using a USB cable I hadn't used before, and got no option on the phone to select data transfer mode. Tried a different cable, and back to normal.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Hi OP here, yes that's exactly the case. The phones getting no notifications or anything when connecting to my PC. I've tried multiple cables all if which were from either previous phones or family's latest phone. So is there any other suggestions because I really can't be arsed to factory reset my phone:(

Upvote 0
Screenshot_20160228-194214.png Not sure on Huawei buton most new devices to unlock developer options you go to settings, about phone, and tap on the build number about 6 to 8 times. Then in developer options menu it should be near top

Upvote 0
Are you connected to the PC when trying to turn USB Debugging on/off? If yes, it will always be greyed out.

There's are no options to change the connection type in Settings - Storage or Settings - More?

First question yes and no, I've tried USB debugging whilst connected to the PC and while unconnected. Still greyed out....

Second, yes there is an option to change USB mount but that's greyed out, which is what I think is the primary problem.

*image of the notification bar to try and show you guys what I mean by how I don't get USB mount options when connected to any pc*

Please help guys, thanks :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-29-13-10-31.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-13-10-31.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 4,081
  • Screenshot_2016-02-29-13-09-39.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-13-09-39.png
    147 KB · Views: 4,017
  • Screenshot_2016-02-29-13-09-17.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-29-13-09-17.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 3,997
Upvote 0
I did exactly the same thing, I chose charge only one and now have no option to get back to USB mode. Connecting to whatever machine / cable combination no longer picks up the phone and only after once selecting "charge only" has this become a problem like the OP.

Must be some fix to get the phone back into USB mode, and not charge only.

Upvote 0
I did exactly the same thing, I chose charge only one and now have no option to get back to USB mode. Connecting to whatever machine / cable combination no longer picks up the phone and only after once selecting "charge only" has this become a problem like the OP.

Must be some fix to get the phone back into USB mode, and not charge only.

Hi all,

So yes after all this time I finally found a solution in which I didn't end up losing any data. So basically there's an app on the huawei p8 which lets you do a complete backup and saves it to the phone. So after doing a backup on the phone I decided to do a factory reset. This solved the problem, then all I had to do was use the backup I did just before and my phone was back to normal but obviously with the option to finally get onto the files option when plugged in via USB.

:))

Upvote 0
I had this or a very similar problem and many of the suggestions above (and on several other websites) didn't fix it, but this did:
  • Settings > Security > Allow HiSuite to use HDB = OFF
  • Settings > Developer options = ON (with no other items in this screen turned on - not even USB debugging)

Sadly, the point of HDB is to not have to turn on Developer options, but it failed to do this for me.

I have Huawei P8-Lite with Android 5.0.1 (not rooted), connecting to Win 10 with HiSuite 5.0.1.300_OVE installed.

Symptoms were, after plugging phone into USB port, Windows would report USB device not recognized - regardless of whether Photos, Files or USB drive selected on phone, same for USB tethering ... except after several tries 'Files' would work and HiSuite could see it! Another phone (Samsung S3 mini) worked just fine.

I had tried without luck:
  • Updating the driver in Device Manager
  • Upgrading HiSuite from 4.x to 5.x
  • Settings > Security > Revoke HiSuite's HDB authorisations
  • Different USB cable
  • Different USB port
  • Restart phone and PC
  • Dialler > *#*#2846579#*#* > Background Settings > USB Port Settings = "Hisuite Mode" (was this already), and the others on that screen

I refused to be drawn into downloading drivers from random sites. Huawei.com doesn't seem to have any drivers for download. I didn't want to reset the phone, as that would mean several hours of my life I'd never get back.

Sorry about the cross-post if you also saw this on another site. I was so happy when I was able to use USB tethering again, I just wanted to share the joy!! ... and help others solve their problem if they went through the same journey I went through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I had this or a very similar problem and many of the suggestions above (and on several other websites) didn't fix it, but this did:
  • Settings > Developer options = ON (with no other items in this screen turned on - not even USB debugging)

Sadly, the point of HDB is to not have to turn on Developer options, but it failed to do this for me.

I have Huawei P8-Lite with Android 5.0.1 (not rooted), connecting to Win 10 with HiSuite 5.0.1.300_OVE installed.

Symptoms were, after plugging phone into USB port, Windows would report USB device not recognized - regardless of whether Photos, Files or USB drive selected on phone, same for USB tethering ... except after several tries 'Files' would work and HiSuite could see it! Another phone (Samsung S3 mini) worked just fine.

I had tried without luck:
  • Updating the driver in Device Manager
  • Upgrading HiSuite from 4.x to 5.x
  • Settings > Security > Revoke HiSuite's HDB authorisations
  • Different USB cable
  • Different USB port
  • Restart phone and PC
  • Dialler > *#*#2846579#*#* > Background Settings > USB Port Settings = "Hisuite Mode" (was this already), and the others on that screen

I refused to be drawn into downloading drivers from random sites. Huawei.com doesn't seem to have any drivers for download. I didn't want to reset the phone, as that would mean several hours of my life I'd never get back.

Sorry about the cross-post if you also saw this on another site. I was so happy when I was able to use USB tethering again, I just wanted to share the joy!! ... and help others solve their problem if they went through the same journey I went through.
sir I am having the same issues and tried all those fixes you've mentioned above but I didn't understand the final solution. If you could help me with that I will be very glad.My device is huawei honor 4c(android 4.4.2)

Upvote 0
...but I didn't understand the final solution. If you could help me with that I will be very glad.My device is huawei honor 4c(android 4.4.2)
You need to find the developer and security/Huawei HDB options I mention at the start of my post.

I also have a Samsung phone with Android 4.1.2 OS. Developer options is the second to last in the settings menu, and Security about the middle. You might try playing with the Developer > USB Debugging option.

I suspect the resolution this type of issue could be specific to the OS version, just guessing.

Upvote 0
You need to find the developer and security/Huawei HDB options I mention at the start of my post.

I also have a Samsung phone with Android 4.1.2 OS. Developer options is the second to last in the settings menu, and Security about the middle. You might try playing with the Developer > USB Debugging option.

I suspect the resolution this type of issue could be specific to the OS version, just guessing.
security/Huawei HDB option is not available on my phone.and tried couple of time with developer option but no luck

Upvote 0
I have an LG G6 with this problem.

I pull down the notification when I am connected, and there are no options do to anything but charge. In developer mode, under Select USB Configuration, I cannot select anything but Charging Only. If I select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), it says Charging only, regardless of whether I am connected to a computer. I used the original cable that came with my phone, same result. I used fancy expensive cables I purchased from Amazon, same result. I bought another generic USB cable that claims to support transfers, and I bought a really expensive Belkin cable that claims to support transfers.

Before I ever selected Charging only, I was able to use MTP mode. I transferred a number of files to my computer using it.

Here's the crazy part. I just reset my phone to factory defaults, and it is still stuck in Charging only mode.

Any ideas? Am I just eternally cursed to never be able to connect my phone to my computer again?

Thanks.

Reactions: Darkner11
Upvote 0
Have you tried a different computer? Just to see if the USB port on the PC isn't the problem?

If you've cleared the defaults, you should get the pop-up options when you plug it into a device with an active data connection. I know you said you tried different cables, but have you tried flipping the connector over? With not all type-c connectors are created equally and I have a few that are troublesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones