• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB sync

Is there any reason why you cant use cloud sync? I'd think it would best to use cloud sync rather than USB sync for multiple computers. The computers would obviously have internet, so install Go Contacts sync and GCal sync on all computers where you want to sync Outlook. They will constantly update each other via Cloud on the Google Servers (Calendar and Contacts). Any changes in one computer would be reflected in Google Calendar and Google Contacts and Outlook on other synced computers. For your phone, if you dont have a data plan to use mobile internet and have packet data off, just turn on Google Sync. Everytime you connect to WiFi, your phone's contacts will be updated by GOogle servers. If you also change anything on your phone, when you sync to Google, your Outlook will also be automatically updated once they sync again (depending on the schedule you set for syncing on Go Contacts and GCal.

Upvote 0
What’s the best app to USB sync with MS outlook on multiple computers? I need to sync contacts, calendar and hopefully notes with work and home computer, and it wouldn’t be bad to sync my laptop too. I don’t want to sync mail.
You wouldn't sync email with Outlook anyway. Your mail client connects to your mail server, not your desktop email client.

As always, check out http://syncdroid.net and existing threads.

THe Mail app will do this, just set up your exchange account.
Outlook != Exchange. Common misunderstanding. Exchange is a server. Outlook is a client. Outlook can be used with Exchange but is not always used with Exchange. In any case, the mail app does not sync via USB per the OP's request.

I'd think it would best to use cloud sync rather than USB sync for multiple computers.
Again, the OP has requested USB sync. Unless the OP says otherwise, you can't assume that cloud sync is best for the OP if the OP can't consider non-USB sync options (verify with the OP first).

Upvote 0
@takeshi - I wonder, is there some rule here that prevents us from suggesting a better alternative to what the OP might see? I dont think it would matter if he asked for USB sync if you can offer a better alternative. If someone asks you what should he buy between a Nokia and an iPhone, wouldnt you suggest an Android? Or would you just say get an (insert iphone/nokia) despite thinking that maybe an Android would be better than both? I dont see whats wrong about throwing out a possible better alternative to USB sync for what he wants.

He neither mentioned that he cant or wouldnt use cloud sync as well. He can verify if he can't use it. I know of some people who never knew anything about cloud syncing. ALright, maybe we can rephrase the first sentence with "Is there some reason you cant use cloud sync?" to make you happy. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones