1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB tethering CM7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cipher6, Apr 5, 2011.

1. cipher6

cipher6 Android Enthusiast

Trying to get USB tethering working, running CM7 RC1.

I plug it in, turn on USB tethering (in the settings), then it jumps to the USB storage screen, with the big green adriod guy and a button that says "turn on usb storage."

If USB storage is enabled, and I try to turn on USB Tethering, it says turn it off.

I've been able to get WiFi tethering to work, but not USB.

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Don't turn on usb storage, and make sure you have the correct drivers installed. You may have to install htc sync.

3. cipher6

which are the correct drivers? the ones that come with the Android SDK?

does it work on XP? I can't even get pdanet to work anymore.

htc sync? heard that messing with rooting right? I'd like to stay away from that if I could.

4. sdrawkcab25

You are already rooted, you can install htc sync with no problems. Then just uninstall if you don't want it running. You need the drivers from htc sync, the sdk drivers don't support tethering.

I've personally done it on my phone running cm7 and it works.

5. cipher6

works with XP?

I just installed the updated SDK drivers and no go. But pdanet is working again.

guess I'll try installing sync drivers now.

6. sdrawkcab25

Yeah works with xp, the sync drivers include one that lets your computer recognize the phone as a modem/network connection instead of a storage device.

Usually htc sync is not required on win7/vista computers as they already have the appropriate drivers.

Explanation:
    "The client needs to support RNDIS. Windows Vista/7 comes with RDNIS-support out of the box. Windows XP requires to download and install a driver. I recommend using the HTC Sync (for the HTC Hero) which contains the required driver. The driver is located under C:\Program Files\HTC\HTC Driver\Driver Files\XP_x86 in case it's not automatically installed when plugging in."

7. cipher6

Installed sync, with drivers... still no go.

When I switch tethering on, it quickly switches itself off, then the computer finds new hardware.

think I'm just gonna pay the 16$ for the full version of pdanet.

Thanks for the help though.

8. demlv

demlv Newbie

For what it's worth, I have the exact same problem and I have reviewed multiple forums and have tried everything that I have read about so far to fix it. Wireless tether works fine, but I have an infrequent need for wired tether. Unfortunately, still no go.

If anyone knows of step-by-step instructions to get either the built-in CM7 wired tether, or the "wired-tether-for -root-users" app working, I would love to hear about it.

9. sdrawkcab25

same process for wired tether for root users, you need htc sync installed on the host computer.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/wiki/FAQ

10. cipher6

I've got pdanet working fine. The free version does everything except HTTPS... but thats a big except. 15$ for the full version to get everything. That was my solution to get wired tether working.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews