• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB Tethering - Error Code 67

I don't get what the fuss about this is. We are all playing $10 more to use the evo because, 4G or not, it's a data hog. I'll tel ya what, I'd much rather pay an extra 10 a month then be restricted like iblow users are through AT&T because their network is the worst in the world. PDAnet, if you don't want to pay an additional 30 a month is either free or $30 one time. Is that really that expensive or bad?

I'll pay $10 a month for tethering at faster speeds than what my blackberry was doing for $15 a month Phone as modem and a PDAnet program anyday over limited data plans, crappy reception, and locked down phones any day. I'll even pay the $30 a month if it comes to it, because it's STILL a better deal. Quit complaining that your USB tethering is disabled by sprint and how horrible they are when you can make it work and run it all day every day for either free, $10 or $30 depending on what method you use. You could always cancel your evo plan and sprint contract and go over to AT&T....

Upvote 0
just a quick update, i just tested the usb tethering (via HTCs internet sharing) with 4G and IT WORKS! it just doesn't work with 3G it seems....

Yes, it should work with 4G until Sprint turns that off later in the month (or beginning of next month, I forget) with an update. With 4G, you should actually even be able to use the Wifi hotspot method until Sprint turns these off 4G tethering later in the month (or beginning of next month, I forget).

Upvote 0
I had the same problems with 'Error 67' and usb tethering. Here is how I solved the issue:

1. Connect your phone to your computer with the cable and place the phone in 'Disk Drive' mode.

2. Open your phone's folder in My Computer, and find the HTC Sync install. Install HTC Sync.

3. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect your phone in 'Internet Sharing Mode'.

This solved my 'Error 67' problem and now I'm posting this using my HTC Evo via USB tethering. Hope it helps!

Upvote 0
I had the same problems with 'Error 67' and usb tethering. Here is how I solved the issue:

1. Connect your phone to your computer with the cable and place the phone in 'Disk Drive' mode.

2. Open your phone's folder in My Computer, and find the HTC Sync install. Install HTC Sync.

3. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect your phone in 'Internet Sharing Mode'.

This solved my 'Error 67' problem and now I'm posting this using my HTC Evo via USB tethering. Hope it helps!

I followed your steps, but as soon as I switch to internet sharing mode, i get the error code 67

Upvote 0
I downloaded PDAnet on win. 7 32bit desktop and EVO with update. set up both and rebooted both. Connected USB and error 67 no matter what I try. Anybody get this to work on 3g using this set up ?

I am starting to wonder if it really works. Any step by step instructions posted ? I have followed the ones here and no go nothing but error 67

WiFi, 4g, bluetooth turned off and wifi on laptop turned off. No internet connection no matter what settings I tried.

Is easytether any easier to set up or are both the same ? I don't care about the 1 time fee.

thanks

Reactions: mumra
Upvote 0

I did this and then went to HTC for Sync update. set everything up and rebooted along with all combinations I could think of with no luck.

Installed PDAnet on both and no luck with that either. There must be a lot more to this set up then above.

Upvote 0
Here's an update to resolve this issue:

The native USB tethering feature only works if you're on 4G. To get the native USB tethering feature to work, follow these steps:

3. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect your phone in 'HTC Sync' mode and perform a sync.

4. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect your phone in 'Internet Sharing Mode'.

If you are on 3G, you cannot use the native USB tethering mode. You can use either PDAnet or EasyTether from the MarketPlace to perform USB tethering on either 3G or 4G. They cost money if you wish to access https sites. Another option is to install Unrevoked and then Wireless Tether (both free), and then you can have wireless tethering on either 4G or 3G for free.

I've talked to Sprint reps and they have told me that the USB tethering is not supported from Sprint, so don't expect any help from them. Also, I've seen rumors that Sprint will disable 4G USB tethering in the coming months.

Reactions: mrk
Upvote 0
PDAnet works fine for me and a ton of other people on the forums.

Here's an update to resolve this issue:

The native USB tethering feature only works if you're on 4G. To get the native USB tethering feature to work, follow these steps:

3. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect your phone in 'HTC Sync' mode and perform a sync.

4. Disconnect your phone and then reconnect your phone in 'Internet Sharing Mode'.

If you are on 3G, you cannot use the native USB tethering mode. PDAnet does not work either. You can use EasyTether from the MarketPlace to perform USB tethering on either 3G or 4G. It costs $10 if you wish to access https sites.

I've talked to Sprint reps and they have told me that the USB tethering is not supported from Sprint, so don't expect any help from them. Also, I've seen rumor that Sprint will disable 4G USB tethering in the coming months.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. Did you have to do anything special? I kept getting the 'Error 67' message with PDAnet. I just assumed it was the same issue as with the native USB tethering.

Hmm, I don't think so. Pretty much just followed the instructions on the app.

Download/install app, install PDAnet client on your desktop, tweak whatever settings PDAnet tells you to (USB debugging or something), and it should be plug and play after that.

Upvote 0
Why not install this: unrevoked
Then this: wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre2 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

Now you have Wifi and bluetooth tethering!

Or if you want to stay wired, install unrevoked, then install this: wired_tether_1_2.apk - android-wired-tether - Wired Tether for Root Users - 1.2 - Project Hosting on Google Code

*You'll need to go to Menu > Settings > Applications and checkmark Unknown Sources before you begin.

Upvote 0
I'm dl'ing a torrent via PDAnet USB tether at 60 to 70 kb/sec and surfing while doing so, all on 3G. The cool thing is that my EVO battery is charging at the same time. :) You can't do that via wifi tether unless you plug up a charger. I was really hoping the native USB tethering would work, but I can live with PDAnet until I decide to root this bitch. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Upvote 0
Why not install this: unrevoked
Then this: wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre2 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

Now you have Wifi and bluetooth tethering!

Or if you want to stay wired, install unrevoked, then install this: wired_tether_1_2.apk - android-wired-tether - Wired Tether for Root Users - 1.2 - Project Hosting on Google Code

*You'll need to go to Menu > Settings > Applications and checkmark Unknown Sources before you begin.

Does this kill the normal WiFi so that I cannot connect to my home wireless router? Ever since I did this, I can no longer connect the EVO WiFi to my wireless router. Or is it something else I did? S.O.S. :)

Upvote 0
Download/install app, install PDAnet client on your desktop, tweak whatever settings PDAnet tells you to (USB debugging or something), and it should be plug and play after that.
After turning on USB debugging and starting pdanet, I plug in the USB, and what do I select from the "Connection Type" options? I tried "Internet sharing" but got the error 67.

Upvote 0
i kept having the error 67 message every time i connected the evo to the computer via the usb cable. once i was able to connect the cable to the computer without that message, i was golden.

the trick for me was to go into phone settings, wireless and networks, and uncheck "Internet sharing". When Internet Sharing is unchecked, i am able to get a "mobile network" connection. Once i got that, i was able to tether via the PDANet software.

i dont think it matters what settings are in "connect to pc", because i have used 'disk drive', and 'Internet sharing' with continued connectivity to the internet. the only thing that would make my phone work was the "Internet sharing" setting in the "Phone Settings/Wireless and Networks" folder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones