1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

usb tethering.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bcltoys, Dec 31, 2011.

1. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast

I know that the Razr can usb tether to the lapdock with out a charge from Verizon but what about a laptop or a Chromebook.Also is there a setting to enable usb tethering.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Hello bcltoys. Here's a link to Verizon's tethering policies posted here in the Carriers section of AF:

http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html

AF can't allow discussion of anti-Terms of Service, which includes attempting to obtain "free" tethering without a data plan which includes that feature. Sorry. :(

3. you2

you2 Android Expert

There was a post somewhere either here or the rezound forum where one of the mods dug out that usb tethering did NOT violate verizon term of service. Only wireless tethering (without a mobile hotspot plan) is not allowed.
    -
    Hum. Not sure now; I know there was a post because the mod was debating to lock the thread; but can't find it. The tos does seem to indicate it is not legal:
    http://support.verizonwireless.com/terms/products/iphone_service.html

Frisco likes this.
  4. Frisco

Absolutely. Wireless tethering is the big bugaboo now.. even though it's still hard to find a concrete statement about USB.

But you're right, [​IMG], I should have made that clear in my post up there that we're just trying to head off *wireless* tethering/mobile hotspot talk without the data plan.

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

In my opinion connecting the Razr to a lapdock is, in fact, a form of USB tethering. It is, however, a special case where an intelligent device (the smartphone) is being connected to a not-so-intelligent device (the lapdock). The lapdock, in this case, does not have a cpu that is capable of allowing it to operate independently (without connection to the smartphone).

By connecting a laptop or PC to the phone you are establishing a connection between two intelligent devices... where the laptop/PC can utilize the smartphone's Internet connection independent of the smartphone.

Frisco likes this.
  6. you2

you2 Android Expert

One thing that is interesting is that the TOS clearly does not mention bluetooth tethering. So I presume that is clearly legal (or is my presumption incorrect; could one claim that bluetooth is a form of wifi ?)
    -
    Actually I think I'm kidding myself unless there is another document that contradicts the one I linked above given this statement:
    --
    Data packages may not be used to tether your smartphone to a computer or tablet, or as a Wi–Fi hotspot, unless you subscribe to Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect.
    -
    It doesn't really state how it is tethered. Bleh.

7. bcltoys

Not my intent to start a firestorm please LOCK THREAD.

8. you2

you2 Android Expert

Well; i woudl be interested if someone could find that document that indicated that usb tethering did not violate verizon tos. I'm pretty sure it was a recent post.

9. bcltoys

With the crap service that I get from Verizon at my house because of overloading of tower's I could careless about their term;s of service I will tether when I dame well please I'm lucky if I get 100kbps at home on my best day I could tether 24-7 and not go over a 1gb a month.But that's all I have.

10. Frisco

...lol.. "firestorm." Seems pretty calm in here to me. :)

11. bcltoys

You were the first one to jump on the term's of service just to cya ,not your's but Android forum's.

12. Frisco

"Jump on the Terms of Service." :D Well, the Terms of Service are there for a reason. ;)

And, yes, as part of my job here as an AF Staffer I have to point things like that out. ;)

I'm not sure your reaction to this is what any member or other Staffer here had in mind when they/we posted the info for you. Here is the Suggestion Box and Feedback forum, where you can post your thoughts/feelings about what's come up in this thread, etc:

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/

And here's the Site Administrator's PM, he's a good listener:

http://androidforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=275 :)

13. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

This pretty much sums it up. :)

In regards to TOS, while this is a free forum for all to use it is up to the owner to decide what's allowed to be discussed in the site that he personally owns and operates. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), the Moderators and Guides don't make the rules and are rather those that have to enforce them.

Per the Forum Rules:

Since the original question has been answered and the thread appears to be going in a direction that, well, is useless. I'll go ahead and lock this one down per the OPs request.

Frisco likes this.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews