• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB Tethering

jay6759

Aug 4, 2012
Since Wifi tethering doesn't work on ICS I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to tether my android tablet to my spectrum. The tablet doesn't have Bluetooth either so that option is out. My only option would be to use USB to tether my phone to the tablet but cant figure out how to do this. Do I need special apps or settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ok, I am not rooted, do not have unlimited data, and do not subscribe to the tether data plan. My wifi tethering doesnt work no matter what app I use. I have tried many including Foxfi. Is there anyway possible to tether my android tablet to my Spectrum using a USB? If so what special apps/equipment/settings do I need to have or use on both devices? Is it possible to tether android to android? Or is android to a computer the only way to usb tether?

Upvote 0
ok, I am not rooted, do not have unlimited data, and do not subscribe to the tether data plan. My wifi tethering doesnt work no matter what app I use. I have tried many including Foxfi. Is there anyway possible to tether my android tablet to my Spectrum using a USB? If so what special apps/equipment/settings do I need to have or use on both devices? Is it possible to tether android to android? Or is android to a computer the only way to usb tether?
If you are on a capped plan, then tethering is free per the FCC ruling. Just use the standard verizon app.

Upvote 0
If you are on a capped plan, then tethering is free per the FCC ruling. Just use the standard verizon app.

My contract is for the 4GB data plan. Im NOT grandfathered unlimited data and do not have the share everything plan. I have tried using the verizon app "Mobile Hotspot", but when I try to use it I get a message "If you would like to subscribe to Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connection, call: 800-256-4646"
Any other ideas on how to tether my tablet?

Upvote 0
Wifi tethering does not work if you are grandfathered in on the unlimited data, whether it is rooted or not. If you have a tether data plan, then it will work with the VZW hotspot app.

If I switch my primary line back to my DInc 2 to use the WiFi tether then switch back after that, will that kill my SIM card?

The only other option is to flash back to V6....

Upvote 0
My contract is for the 4GB data plan. Im NOT grandfathered unlimited data and do not have the share everything plan. I have tried using the verizon app "Mobile Hotspot", but when I try to use it I get a message "If you would like to subscribe to Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connection, call: 800-256-4646"
Any other ideas on how to tether my tablet?

I thinks it's only included in the new share everything plans.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones