1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips USB to wall adapter question...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattbirk, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mattbirk

mattbirk Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    ISP/Run local businesses networks
    Chicago, IL
    Does it matter what kind of USB wall charger I use to charge my phone with the data cable? Is it all the same?

I was going to purchase a few of these USB Wall Charger's

But all it mentions is iPhones and iPods for support. Is there anything that would cause any kind of problem with power...?
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    Any micro USB charger will work. I know people who use old BlackBerry cables without issue

mattbirk likes this.
  3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I only use OEM cables now. I had an adapter a while back and it shorted out a MP3 player and the charging port on an OG droid, it may not happen to you but if it does it is a hassle.

mattbirk likes this.
  4. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
  5. pat3332

pat3332 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    As WormDoes said, any USB charger will work, but you'll have better results with one that has a 1 amp output. I had some left over from my iPhone 3GS like the one you linked to. They worked, but were 0.5 amp output and charged slowly. The TBolt is powerful enough that a 1 amp charger is usually recommended, works better and charges faster. The same is true of car chargers. If you are doing any navigation in your car and trying to keep the TBolt charged, an 0.5 amp charger may have trouble keeping up and will charge slower.

I also use OEM wall chargers from Verizon. They're more expensive, but seem to be made better and last longer than most of the cheap chargers you get online. That's strictly my opinion and I may be wrong, but I personally have had better luck with the OEM chargers. Also, I know you asked about USB chargers, but for a wall charger I prefer the ones that are directly wired with a 6' cable as opposed to the ones that use a USB cable. No real good reason for it other than I like the longer cable and most USB wall chargers come with a 3' to 4' cable. I already have more micro USB cables than I know what to do with and 6' USB cables are more expensive and just an extra expense.

Again, just my opinion and others will probably disagree.

I just saw the one brizey linked to and it looks like the one that came with my TBolt. It's both a good 1 amp output charger and a good deal.