• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

USB to Wifi app?

Why would you want to use your phone as a wi-fi adapter when you can simply tether it?

Home network is much faster, using an Xbox to connect for System-link play. Before you ask "why don't you use an ethernet cable?", I don't want a long wire running through the house. And yes, I suppose I can buy a wireless adapter, but I don't want to.

Upvote 0
Home network is much faster, using an Xbox to connect for System-link play. Before you ask "why don't you use an ethernet cable?", I don't want a long wire running through the house. And yes, I suppose I can buy a wireless adapter, but I don't want to.

Wireless isn't going to be faster than 3g unless you have a crappy signal in your house. I'd run a wire before I relied on wireless. Gigabit wired is so much faster than wireless it's ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Wireless isn't going to be faster than 3g unless you have a crappy signal in your house. I'd run a wire before I relied on wireless. Gigabit wired is so much faster than wireless it's ridiculous.

Running a wire from the router to the xbox in my house is not an option.

Is there such an app that would allow me to use my phone as a wifi adapter?

Upvote 0
FIXED: (well, maybe for me but still...)

1st off, "A.Nonymous" is acting like a dick.

2nd, In Googling this specific issue for myself, not wanting to run a 40ft CAT5 to where I was working, I plugged in my Nexus S via USB to a freshly installed Win7 Home Premium x64 box. Drivers installed automagicly. I turned on USB tethering WHILE having the phone connected to my home Wifi.

At first, I didn't know if it was connected via 3G or my home Wifi, but as soon as I typed in my wireless routers IP address in my browser & was able to log in, I knew I was on my home's network, not my carrier's 3G connection.

I can't say this will work for any other person on earth, I'm just letting you know that for me, it really is acting as a wireless adapter via USB tethering.

NICE!
Hope this info helps someone else.

MetalGeek.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones