1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

USB transfer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dhoun, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Dhoun

Dhoun Lurker

I am trying to move music files from my PC to my Pixel 3a phone but the only option available is PTP (no MTP) which will allow photos but nothing else to transfer.

Any solutions, thanks.

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

That's the only option available on the phone or on the computer?

I do MTP transfers to my Pixel 2 (Android 11) regularly, so this isn't a limitation of the Pixel software. It has to be either that the phone is set in the wrong mode or there's something set up wrong on your PC (I don't use Windows, so can't help there). Have you tried going into Developer Options and setting the default USB configuration to "File transfer"?

If you don't know, Developer Options is in Settings > System > Advanced. Before you can access it you need to find the build number in your software information and tap on it repeatedly to unhide the developer options menu (Google used to just leave it visible, but decided - incorrectly - that it would be cute to hide it behind an easter egg a few years ago).

lunatic59, codesplice and Dannydet like this.
  4. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

5. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Check that your Pixel 3a is actually set to File Transfer / Android Auto mode... This setting is found in the System->Advanced Options->Developer options setting menu about 1/2 way down the list of settings.

If you are still having trouble ... When connected to your Windows PC... check the Windows Device Manager and look for a USB device with problems ( yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it ).. Usually named something like "Unknown USB device descriptor request failed" by it. If you see that... try different USB ports on the computer.

Dannydet and codesplice like this.
  6. wooky69

wooky69 Android Enthusiast

Hi, did you have any luck? Since updating to Android 11 I can't see my Pixel 3a XL as a drive in Windows any more.
    I've rebooted both devices, tried different cables and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.
    When I plug in I hear the usual sound and device manager shows "Android Device: Google Nexus ADB Interface" so it does detect the phone but it doesn't appear in Explorer as a drive anymore.

I Googled it but everything seems to be about Android 10.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Google Pixel 3A Forum

The Google Pixel 3A release date was May 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch or 5.6" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 670 processor, and 3700mAh or 3000mAh battery.

May 2019
Release Date
Reviews