1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General USB Type-C 3.1 Port and Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 - Problem?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WeeWilly, Apr 22, 2016.

1. WeeWilly

WeeWilly Android Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Rescue, California

Advertisement

2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky
    Hard to tell if there will be any long term effects. Or any effect at all. The 'one googler' who posted that doesn't impress me, but I'm not one of the ones accusing him of being a Samsung fanboy lol

3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I'm on the opposite side of your assessment of 'one googler'. Benson Leung on his own has already driven a company as massive as Amazon to change how it markets and sells a product. His actions are also forcing a) numerous off-brand manufacturers to make fundamental changes in how they operate and b) name brand retailers and sellers to evaluate which companies they contract and buy from. This one guy has made a significant change to make things better for countless consumers, I find that pretty impressive.

4. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky
    I heard some of that, thought maybe it was same guy. And I didn't put much stock into the "hes a samsung fanboy" comments I saw.
    But even he (or maybe the article) said there was no evidence at all that pointed at long term effects. So could be an issue, could not be. I'd like to see something more definitive before I let this influence me.

But yea, sounds like he is accomplishing good things, hopefully it doesn't go to his head.

Would like to see an official reponse from LG/HTC

5. WeeWilly

Oct 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Rescue, California
    We should be OK if we use an OEM USB Type-C cable for charging. I just read a recent Android Authority article, HTC 10 and LG G5 breach the USB Type-C spec, but does it matter? According to the article:
    "Consumers that stick to properly certified accessories and the chargers provided with their devices will certainly be safe. However, the situation might become a little more complicated when it comes to third party accessories, as these have a history of failing to meet the proper USB specifications anyway. It might be best to steer clear from them for now."

#5 WeeWilly, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  6. WeeWilly

Oct 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Rescue, California
    Qualcomm has released the follow statement regarding the issue:

"Qualcomm Quick Charge is designed to be connector-independent. It can be implemented in a device that supports a variety of connectors, including USB Type-A, USB micro, USB Type-C, and others. When an OEM chooses to implement Quick Charge into their device, they can configure the voltage to fit within the specifications of the USB Type-C standard. We have received no reports of user experience or device malfunction issues with or without USB Type-C connectors. At Qualcomm Technologies, we are continuously working to provide the best solutions for our customers and consumers. Qualcomm Quick Charge is a leading edge fast charging solution with more than 70 devices and 200 accessories supporting one of the two most recent versions of Quick Charge, with even more currently in development."

HTC 10

The HTC 10 is a flagship smartphone by the Taiwanese company. Announced April 12th and available May 2016, the HTC 10 features a full metal unibody design with unique chamfered edges. It was the world's first device with optical image stabilization on both the front and rear cameras.
Tags: