1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General USB Type-C Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by egernant, Feb 26, 2016.

1. egernant

egernant Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    I'm trying to outfit my life with enough USB-C chargers so that I'm never missing one (work, travel, home, car). My question: If I have a good USB Type-C cable (like many I've been following reviews by Benson on Amazon), but I'm plugging that into an old standard USB car charger port, an old iPhone square wall charger port, or a laptop, will it do what I want it to do? Aside from my Google charger that I leave at home, I have two other good cables but would be using them in my car and for travel in those circumstances. Will I just be missing out on fast charging if I use the right cable but an non-ideal plug? Should I be buying another charger from Google for best results since it has both pieces (wall plug + cable)?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    It will depend on the Amp rating of the other wall warts.

If smaller than the the OEM charger module for the phone, the charging rate will just be a little slower.
    No harm done though.

codesplice likes this.
  3. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Yep, you can still charge the 6P from a USB-A (version 2 or 3) port with an appropriate, safe A-to-C cable. It won't enable "rapid charging" as USB-A passes less current (if it does enable rapid charging, THROW THAT CABLE AWAY), but it will still charge just fine. It will just take longer. :D

Nexus 6P

The Nexus 6P is a Huawei made Android Smartphone that would be come the last Nexus device before the launch of Google's Pixel line of phones.
Tags: