1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Use android to extend wifi signal

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by niebes, Oct 2, 2011.

1. niebes

niebes Lurker
    None

May 25, 2011
    Hia all,
    so... my wifi conection at home sucks big time. Always low sometimes doesn't even connect. My router is located in the dining room and my computer is in the office on the other side of the house. Is there a way to use my android to extend the conection to my pc? Maybe using a program or something. I dont wat to boost the wifi just extende to my office. Maybe something like "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot" but using the existing wifi signal...

Thanks all in advance.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The WiFi antenna on a device cant be transmitting and receiving signals at the same time. Hardware limitation.

3. DoDodorant

None

Sep 23, 2011
    Depending on the OP's router model he can probably amplify and direct its signal and reception himself with some elbow grease. Click here.

4. sutton8

sutton8 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    beckenham
    must admit to having had the same problem. i just bought a combined wifi and home plugs set from devolo for 90, check amazon or pc world. it allows me both a wired and second wireless connection in my bedroom. the plug in the bedroom acts as a wifi access point as well as offering wired lan. wired speeds are now up to the lounge speeds and wireless on the second network very good. i payed extra for the convenience of a complete ready made kit but there are solutions much cheaper with two homeplugs and a cheap router if you want to put it together yourself.

5. DoDodorant

None

Sep 23, 2011
    If you DIY the expense is a couple dimes, and you can be up an running in 10 minutes from now...

6. sutton8

sutton8 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    beckenham
    For a start the Virgin Superhub that I use does not have an external antenna so the solution you linked would not work. Nor do you get an additional 3 port wired lan in the bedroom which the homeplug setup allows me. Apart from that the "dish" looks silly and I would not want that in my lounge :eek:

But if you are on a budget and your hardware fits its is an interesting experiment. Myself I did not mind paying the 90 for what I got.

7. DoDodorant

None

Sep 23, 2011
    Any router is an ugly eye-sore in a lounge. Which is why many people set them up in a closet or behind books in a bookcase. Out of sight. And it doesn't matter how silly the "dish" looks then, does it? :D

8. sutton8

sutton8 Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    beckenham
    To be honest I dont mind my Virgin router. Looks good on my workdesk at one side of the lounge. Although I intend to sue them in the future if anything drops off me when they discover that all the proximity to wifi is bad for you. :eek:

I certainly do hate those flaying saucer routers with antennas sticking out and would try to hide them whatever. Aesthetics are personal I guess.