• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use caution with decal type skins on the Ally

netizenmt

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2010
Mansfield, OH
Those really cool decal skins that make your phone look so awesome can give you some big headaches. The ones I got have tiny little holes punched out which are supposed to correspond with the 3 little circles in the upper right side of the front of the phone. This is where the proximity sensor is located which is what makes the screen go blank when you put it up to your ear. The slightest bit out of alignment blocking that sensor and your phone will start staying blank. It may clear when you open the keyboard, but not always.

I almost looked very foolish by taking it back to Verizon and demanding a replacement for my "defective" phone. Thankfully I figured it out in time. From now on, I'll sacrifice a little custom fit by trimming that space out a bit before I use this type of skin.

Hope this helps save someone else a lot of frustration!

Reactions: Math-Uhhh-Saurus
I have a DecalGirl skin on my Ally and I like it a lot, HOWEVER, I ended up just cutting off the bottom part of the front skin, and leaving the whole area where the "back" arrow is uncovered. That part needs all the sensitivity I can give it, I've found, and covering it up with just a little cutout where you need to press just doesn't work.

(I don't use a screen protector, either. Screen response is a lot better without it on my phone, and this gorilla glass seems to be living up to its reputation. This is the first device I've ever used with a naked screen, but so far, so good.)

Upvote 0
I do not have a skin on my phone, but I have gotten it on previous phones. I don't think I am going to get one this time because of the problems they cause with the previously mentioned proximity sensors and soft keys. Also, I'm going to be getting a case soon which has a design on it, anyway. As far as screen protectors go, I have a Verizon screen protector on my phone (that the sales person put on crookedly D; ) that only covers the screen and not the soft keys. I think it works pretty well :]

Upvote 0
Well you can use the skins and the screen protectors. You just have to be aware that many of the folks that make them have no idea that they can cause these sorts of issues, so they die cut them to fit way too exacting.

Just trim around the sensor area and above the back and search key areas and you'll be ok. No need to sacrifice a cool look completely! (Mine has a Matrix print on it!) :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones