1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Use of Samsung SE-506CB Blu-ray Writer with Samsung Galaxy S2 (9.7”) Tablet

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by D_Page, Jul 31, 2016.

1. D_Page

D_Page Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2016
    Male
    Despite no indication on the product packaging itself, I found out that the Samsung SE-506CB/RSWDE Blu-ray writer can be used with tablets, past Android ver 4. I only bought my Samsung Galaxy S2 (9.7") tablet a few weeks ago, it has Android ver 6.0.1 Marshmallow installed. I was aware that the tablet would be very unlikely to provide sufficient power to the Blu-ray writer, and, therefore, a USB Y-adapter would be necessary, hooked up to either the USB mains adapter, or an external battery. Being a white tablet I bought, I wanted the lead to be white. I had difficulty finding a suitable Y-adapter in white, but managed to acquire one, shipped in from China.

So, I’ve hooked it all up, the writer now turns on, and the tray can be ejected etc, but I can’t play a commercial Blu-ray disc.

I did download and install an app called MLUSB Mounter, and now the tablet recognises the presence of the writer, and I am able to make the disc spin into operation at will, but I still haven’t found a way to enable me to play a commercial Blu-ray disc.

No point in contacting Samsung technical support. I’ve quickly come to realise they know jack-sh*t. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

#1 D_Page, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    The Blu-ray Disc you have does have a TOC burned into it right?

Without that, the Blu-Ray can't read the disc no matter what's on it. Make sure your Blu-Ray burner software writes the content in a way that can be read by a Blu-Ray player.

I'm also wondering if the Chinese part you ordered is interfering with the encoding process, which would render your burns useless in this hemisphere. China uses a different TV standard, it may not be compatible with NTSC.

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    eshieldsvx4 likes this.
  4. D_Page

D_Page Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2016
    Male
    Cheers for that.

As I say, the Blu-ray is a commercial (UK release) disc, appropriate as I live in the UK. It's not a blank disc which I've burnt data onto.

The Chinese part is simply a USB A Male ~ A Male ~ Mini B. Here is the lead:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360895810008?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

...one of the USB A Male plugs is charge only, and this plugs into the AC USB Mains adapter, the other A Male plug (which carries both data and charge) goes into the tablet (via a USB A Female to Micro B Male adapter), and the USB Mini B plug goes into the Blu-ray writer. The differing colour TV standards used throughout the world is irrelevant here, as far as I understand how this lead connects and works.

#4 D_Page, Jul 31, 2016
  5. D_Page

D_Page Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2016
    Male

Thanks.

I should have mentioned, I have VLC for Android also installed, but it doesn't seem to help me to be able to play the commercial Blu-Ray disc's contents.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I didn't think it would, but something to try. Even on desktop Linux with VLC, you have to install another component, that breaks (cracks) the HDCP and AACS DRM copyright protection on commercial Blu-ray discs. Which doesn't exist for Android AFAIK. And discussion of how to break DRM falls foul of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act(DMCA). Android Forums is a United States site.

....and then Hollywood wonders why there's so much piracy of HD ripped Blu-ray movies.

#6 mikedt, Jul 31, 2016
    chanchan05 likes this.
  7. D_Page

D_Page Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2016
    Male
    I sent a message to MLUSB to which I received a reply. MLUSB mounter app will only allow playback of non-copy protected discs. This info seems to be correct - I placed a self-made DVD of a TV programme recorded via a DVD recorder, into the Blu-ray writer and, using MLUSB and VLC for Android, it plays back fine.

So, the stumpling block is finding an Android app, or software for Android, which will allow playback of copy protected DVD or Blu-ray discs.

I see many ripping apps, but all I want to do is simply be able to play back commercial Blu-ray movies via my tablet's screen, and nothing illegal such as trying to rip the material.

Noremon likes this.
  8. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    As long as he isn't bootlegging a film, you can do whatever you desire with a Blu-Ray disc. There's 50 GB of dual layer action there...