1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Use the main card as Gold card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Usta, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Hi,

I have a branded Desire with stock ROM v2.2. I plan to root my phone and try some custom ROMs.

The dilemma I have: do I make my main card as a Gold Card?

In order to make use of a2sd (or similar) feature to extend the internal memory in Desire, the card needs to be partitioned. If I do that then the gold card is gone.
    However, if I use another card, then I'll have to swap it every time I need to try another ROM (and maybe get into other issues if I forget to put the gold card in).

What is your experience?

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

You dont need the gold card to flash custom roms. You only need it if returning to an unbranded stock rom via RUU.

Usta likes this.
  3. Usta

Usta Android Expert

I see. Then it looks the best option is to make an external Gold card and keep it somewhere safe just in case.
    Thanks for clarifying this. :)

4. SUroot

If you have a small, spare SD card, its perfect for the job.

5. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Yes, I have a 4GB card (came with the Desire) that I don't use at the moment.
    Inside Desire is now an 8GB card.

I assume it doesn't matter which card I'm using even if I want to restore the original nandroid backup?

Here is the plan: make the 4gb card a gold card, Root Desire, format and partition 8GB card for a2sd (1GB+7GB), flash custom ROMs.
    In case of Fail, either flash another custom ROM, or stock RUU + gold card, or nandroid restore the original branded ROM.

6. SUroot

Take a nandroid once rooted. You cant take one before. You can restore this or any other nandroid.

Although it will restore the original rooted rom, you dont need a goldcard for that. It will still be rooted though, so if you want to return under warranty, you will need to use an RUU. but even then you would have to out the branded one on for warranty not to be void.

7. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Clear. Even if nandroid can restore the original ROM as rooted, it is good enough for me, in case the phone gets bricked.
    Looks like the most important steps are not to forget to make a gold card and nandroid backup on time. :)

8. SUroot

The goldcard is used as a recovery measure but its always best to make one first.

Dead easy now with the goldcard tool link in the rooting FAQ

9. Usta

Usta Android Expert

Thanks again! I'll follow the link in your Rooting FAQ. :)

Tags: