1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Use unlocked US G1 in Japan?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MV10, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MV10

MV10 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    We're taking a two-week vacation in Japan in several months. We have US G1s that I plan to unlock one of these days. Is it possible to buy a SIM card that will work in Japan for the duration of our vacation?

Advertisement

2. MV10

MV10 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if they use the same frequencies and protocols in Japan.

Heck, I've never bought a SIM that way... is it possible to buy one with a data plan? I use e-mail and messaging a lot more than I use voice calls.

What defines a factory reset, and what causes them? Are you talking about something like Google pushing a new OS version down or something like that?

3. MV10

MV10 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info.

4. MV10

MV10 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    It turns out that SIM card rental is probably not the best option for a G1 owner. All the options are very expensive.

T-Mo will let you roam in Japan. A typical month of usage between my wife's G1 and my own would cost around $2200 on top of the regular $140-ish monthly service charge. We'll only be there about 12 days, but nearly $900 for typical usage is still too steep for me. (We're data-heavy users, lots of e-mail.) In Japan, the data connection will be 3G (UMTS).

I started looking for SIM rentals, and the only thing you can do in-country (without an alien non-resident card with more than 90 days until expiration and possibly other immigration-related documentation) is rent a SIM that'll let you make voice calls only, and then at rates which are similar to T-Mobile's international roaming rate. But for me the clincher was: no data access at all, period. Apparently it's illegal for them to give you data access. They've created quite a few new laws in the past couple years to prevent "illegal cell phone usage" (whatever that means).

However, pre-paid and rental SIMs are available in advance, from companies outside of Japan (generally European), but their usage costs are similar to T-Mobile's roaming pricing, plus the overhead of setup and the rental fee itself... no real point since T-Mobile's automatic roaming will get you the same thing.

The best deal actually appears to be renting a completely different phone for the trip. Places like rentafonejapan.com have rate structures that work out to maybe one third of the cost -- but then you have some random phone number and e-mail address for the duration. I'm thinking about doing that and forwarding everything, although that obviously strays far afield from my original question about using the G1 over there.

It's a shame they make it so prohibitively expensive. $15 per meg of data? Ridiculous...

Anyway, maybe the info will help somebody else at some point.

5. dynodroid

dynodroid Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    MV10, wow, thanks for that information. I'm not leaving this country anytime soon, unfortunately, but after looking at those prices it might be even longer before I leave!

Have fun on your trip!

6. MV10

MV10 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Good thinking, I guess. Hard to imagine why I'd factory-reset in the middle of a vacation, but your point is valid.

7. cwaltherp22

cwaltherp22 Member

Jul 28, 2009
    i was wondering if an unlocked hero will work in Japan. Thanks so much.

Tags: