1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Use ur WiFi to make a call!?!?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by v1rotate, Jan 14, 2010.

1. v1rotate

v1rotate Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Hi all! I am a happy Verizon customer that doesn't ante-up the extra $ to make calls on the few trips that send me to Canada. I heard that there might be an app or website that lets u make free calls through ur WiFi connection (at my hotel, for example) when I'm up there on business... Anyone know anything about this?

Also... Is there a way to run the WiFi only and not ANY other phone functions>>> (mobile network AND receiving calls or texts)..... so that I wouldn't get charged for incoming calls and messages?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. joshminton

joshminton Member
    None

Jan 14, 2010
  3. jmastron

jmastron Member
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Or Google Voice

4. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    Skype for Android is actually Skype Lite, which uses your minutes to call a local number and Skype out that way. It does not work over WiFi or 3G.

Fring lets you connect to Skype contacts over WiFi, or Skype Out to regular telephone numbers at Skype Out prices. Truphone also works similarly. (Though I have not used Truphone myself.)

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
  6. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    California
    Google Voice alone won't work yet. It only uses the 3G or wifi to make initiate the call, but you're still using your minutes (unless you set the GV bridging number as one of your Friends & Family numbers). If you want to use Google Voice solely through data, you have to use Gizmo or some other SIP/IP type of program.

7. v1rotate

v1rotate Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    How about using ur phone's WiFi as a web browser alone without call/texting enabled. I dont know if eris allows a way to turn off the phone function and just use WiFi. Airplane mode wont allow you to turn WiFi on. It seems like its all or nothing with that one. I'm trying to avoid charges if people call or text me when I'm up there.

8. samster

samster Member
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    Arizona
    OHH I learned the solution on this forum! Its *#*#4636#*#* on the dialer and it will take you to maintenance menu. Select 'Phone Information' and then push 'Radio Off' button. Push the escape key, and the radio should be off, but you may still toggle Wifi. Hope this helps!!

Oh and to the OP, to accomplish free wifi calling, I use Google Voice + Google Gizmo5VOIP with the Sipdroid app.

IzelTokatl likes this.