• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use ur WiFi to make a call!?!?!

v1rotate

Lurker
Dec 12, 2009
Hi all! I am a happy Verizon customer that doesn't ante-up the extra $ to make calls on the few trips that send me to Canada. I heard that there might be an app or website that lets u make free calls through ur WiFi connection (at my hotel, for example) when I'm up there on business... Anyone know anything about this?

Also... Is there a way to run the WiFi only and not ANY other phone functions>>> (mobile network AND receiving calls or texts)..... so that I wouldn't get charged for incoming calls and messages?

Thanks

Skype for Android is actually Skype Lite, which uses your minutes to call a local number and Skype out that way. It does not work over WiFi or 3G.

Fring lets you connect to Skype contacts over WiFi, or Skype Out to regular telephone numbers at Skype Out prices. Truphone also works similarly. (Though I have not used Truphone myself.)

Upvote 0
Or Google Voice

Google Voice alone won't work yet. It only uses the 3G or wifi to make initiate the call, but you're still using your minutes (unless you set the GV bridging number as one of your Friends & Family numbers). If you want to use Google Voice solely through data, you have to use Gizmo or some other SIP/IP type of program.

Upvote 0
How about using ur phone's WiFi as a web browser alone without call/texting enabled. I dont know if eris allows a way to turn off the phone function and just use WiFi. Airplane mode wont allow you to turn WiFi on. It seems like its all or nothing with that one. I'm trying to avoid charges if people call or text me when I'm up there.

Upvote 0
How about using ur phone's WiFi as a web browser alone without call/texting enabled. I dont know if eris allows a way to turn off the phone function and just use WiFi. Airplane mode wont allow you to turn WiFi on. It seems like its all or nothing with that one. I'm trying to avoid charges if people call or text me when I'm up there.

OHH I learned the solution on this forum! Its *#*#4636#*#* on the dialer and it will take you to maintenance menu. Select 'Phone Information' and then push 'Radio Off' button. Push the escape key, and the radio should be off, but you may still toggle Wifi. Hope this helps!!

Oh and to the OP, to accomplish free wifi calling, I use Google Voice + Google Gizmo5VOIP with the Sipdroid app.

Reactions: IzelTokatl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones