1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Used Linux before new to Android

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KMobile, Sep 21, 2011.

1. KMobile

KMobile Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Just wanted to say hi and let you all know that I am new to the forums. I have lots of computer experience with various types of hardware and operating systems but I am new to the smartphone and Android which I hear is based off a version of Linux (correct me if I'm wrong). I have always had a basic phone until a few days ago. I am overwhelmed by all the things these smartphones can do. In case your wondering I ended up buying a Motorola Droid off of craigslist and activated with a cheap data plan with Verizon in order to try Android out. I'm limited to 300 megabytes a month which isn't bad if you don't mind just using WiFi with the phone. So far I really like it and I just can't stop reading about all the apps for it. I find it very interesting. So go easy on me if I ask a dum question because I'm just learning the basics of the Android OS and touch screen. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, KMobile.

If you find yourself stumbling over the settings or operation of your phone you should jump over to Motorola Droid - Android Forums where other users of the same handset are ready to help you out.

3. KMobile

KMobile Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome. I'll do that. Just wanted to ask do you know of any good app review resources?

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I used to search for things like "top 10 Android apps" and "most recommended android apps" and eventually I kept getting the same subset, half of which I wasn't interested in. I've found that approaching it from the other direction ... namely determine the task first and then find the app ... works best. I've come to rely on user reviews in the market and on Appbrain.com to let me know if the app's any good or not.