• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Used Phone Hacking?

Guysakar

Lurker
Feb 5, 2014
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a used HTC One M8, likely from eBay or similar, and one that seems like a great deal, etc... has the bootloader unlocked and is running Android revolution ROM.

Two questions:

A) Should I be concerned that the previous owner could have installed a trojan/virus on the phone and my sensitive information might not be secure?

B) If I just do a factory reset, will it reset the phone back to the original factory state, with no Revolution, a locked bootloader, etc..., where even if the PO had Trojan installed, it would be wiped out?

Thank you very much for any help on this matter.

you better flash yourself some fw, as spying app could be built-in into fw already. here and there are tons of threads how to unlock bootloader on htc, so it's not an issue. good luck!

factory reset is nothing, cuz i have had bugs (don't remember what kinnda), reseted it, but bugs remained.. so i reflashed fw and all good

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
you better flash yourself some fw, as spying app could be built-in into fw already. here and there are tons of threads how to unlock bootloader on htc, so it's not an issue. good luck!

factory reset is nothing, cuz i have had bugs (don't remember what kinnda), reseted it, but bugs remained.. so i reflashed fw and all good

Thanks for the reply. How hard is it to flash the FW? Say I get a phone, from the time I flash the FW to the time I have everything back to usable, how many things will I have to do? Re install OS, etc?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones