• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help used phone still showing previous owners number-wont make or recieve calls

F1prerun

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
i bought a used droid 3 to use instead of my work issue flip phone. i put my SIM card in the droid power it up and it makes the call to activate the phone and says that it is complete, but phone wont make or recieve calls. and when i go into about phone and then status the phone number that shows in the menu is not my number. i have tried the factory reset as well as the recovery mode reset.

not sure what to do to fix this.

The droid 3 from Verizon has a sim slot that is locked to the shipped Vodafone SIM card, so it can be used as a "world phone" when not connected to the Verizon network. If you didn't get a prompt asking you to unlock the sim, then it's likely that the sim slot is unlocked already, though.

Even unlocking the sim on a Verizon droid 3 (identified as xt862 in settings, about phone) will not unlock it for use in the USA - it will only be unlocked internationally.

I've never used gsm on the droid 3, but I'd think you need to go to setting, wireless & networks, mobile networks and change the network mode to gsm/umts. See if that works.

If it's not already unlocked, there are inexpensive unlocking sites online that work. http://unlock4moto.com/ is one that I know works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones