• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Useless Crap Phone

Mohy786

Apr 7, 2012
Hey,

After having this phone for nearly 7 months now; I can't wait to get rid of it and get the IPHONE 5. The Galaxy Ace lags, its so slow, memory is crap, battery is poor, it turns off when showing wifi error, overall im really dissappointed with it (had better expectations). Now for the iPhone 5 which im sure will be a great phone!

Well said kejlyCZ, Mohy786 is comparing a mid range phone with a high range phone, thats plain irrelevant. You can get 2 SGA phones for the price of a single Iphone 5. :D
Even though, the phone's performance depends on the user, you must have already known the specs of the phone and still you bought it, you should have been prepared to face the low memory problem, low battery capacity, lags due to a weak cpu etc.
But still if you had tried to watch your ram consumption and closed unnecessary apps you would not have faced any lags.
I am using this phone since more than a year and i am completely happy with it, a little bit of rooting and modding even removed some of the hardware and software restrictions that came with the phone. Even after a year of its release its still the best value for money device in this price range, you can't expect a supercomputer at this price.

Reactions: lmbeta8
Upvote 0
yes, its useless. had mine few months now and its been tweaked in the shop about 3 times and back for repair. Yet its still the same. not much to ask for a phone to be able to make and receive calls !? And every now and again mines cant ! it needs to be switched off and back on again to get it to work !! Have found out i have lost loads of work because of it. O2 say they cant give me new phone as they are exempt the regulations re new purchases. Off there again now so we will see about that !

Upvote 0
Well before I bought it I was told its really good and total false info! On this forum too!! Why say the phone is good when it actually is NOT!?

You should learn how to read device specification so you won't get a wrong expectation next time. People who says Galaxy Ace is really good is not lying, it just that the phone is right for them. If you ask me whether Galaxy Ace is good or not, I'd ask back, "Good for what?" Different people different needs.

If you don't fancy the idea of learning what those numbers and other stuff in device specification means, then you're right. You're better off with iPhone, or for android, stay with the latest high-end Android device (like Galaxy SIII or HTC One X currently).

Upvote 0
What comparison has this got to do with friend? Are you trying to say that Samsung are poor and Apple are rich? LOL
Samsung do have some good phones but this is not one of them.
Maybe if people tell the truth and give some problems about this phone like its so slow, lags, memory is crap etc (many more issues) and people just say good stuff about it, if there was a balance of pros and cons then mistakes wouldn't be made!

Upvote 0
I am using the ace for more than a year, and i have none of the problems you face, in fact my tweaked up phone gets much better benchmark scores than the normal SGS2, its just that you have to know how to use a phone. I got a super smooth phone with a beautiful electric blue interface, and i got over 300 apps on this phone's internal memory alone, that comes out to be 1gb of internal memory.

@phantor, bad luck mate, sending the phone for repairs 3 times and still no results, thats got to be really frustrating. You probably got a defective piece, the O2 guys should have given you a replacement straight away!

Upvote 0
What comparison has this got to do with friend? Are you trying to say that Samsung are poor and Apple are rich? LOL
Samsung do have some good phones but this is not one of them.
Maybe if people tell the truth and give some problems about this phone like its so slow, lags, memory is crap etc (many more issues) and people just say good stuff about it, if there was a balance of pros and cons then mistakes wouldn't be made!

Mohy Mohy Mohy...... if you read this forum PROPERLY before your purchase you would see plenty of pros AND cons my friend. It is a well known fact that the uneducated complain about memory/battery/lag etc... but those who have owned the phone & played with it have opened up all sorts of possibilities on this fantastic little phone. The i-phone 5 will cost you about 3 times more or a huge monthly contract & will throw up just as many problems!! Look on the reviews for the 5 & you wouldn't buy it, based on your gripes about the Ace. Maps are unusable, it eats data by the second, camera is rubbish, it scratches/dents very easily, nothing is free etc...etc... With the Ace you get what you pay for, with any Apple phone you most certainly do not!! That is all........... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Install custom rom if u want better performance. Ace is Android phone so u can do basicly whatever u want to make it better :)

exactly, unlike the i-sheep5 which is totally controlled by the Apple!!
You can only do what THEY want you to do!
So Mohy, customize your Ace exactly how you want it & it will blow any Apple product out of the water every time.........;)

Upvote 0
Galaxy ace is fine, for what it is. You can't expect the best performance if you're not going to pay to money. Sure, it has some glitches, but I think they're mainly due to apps I've installed, not the phone. If I could have afforded a more expensive phone then I'd have bought a better one, but I couldn't - and I'm pleased Samsung have produced a decent product that I can afford to buy. . . There are maybe better things in the price range today, but a year ago when I bought it, this was the best deal for the price.

Upvote 0
You can't expect a $150 phone to be on par with a phone 3-4 times the price. Although it does seem as if your ace isn't performing as it should.

You've got to remember that android is a MUCH more customisable and in-depth operating system than iOS is. With more user customisation comes more potential for failure and performance issues. iOS is practically how it is, you can't alter it and fully customise it to your liking, whether you want to or not (Jailbreaking doesn't count). When people can't fiddle they can't accidentally bugger something up.

I'm sure there's many ways for you to rectify your problems with your ace if you want to, you could even try a factory reset which would most likely fix 99% of the problems you posted.

Upvote 0
i have recently had the misfortune to purchase a galaxy ace on a two year contract .i too was given rubbish information ..and not being a techy minded person i listened to the B/S from the sale person .on all my previous phones i have been able to connect to my acer laptop via the wifi link .but not the ace the computer will not see it ..and if i connect via a USB the drivers load but when i come to load on my music {wma /mp3} they are rejected by the phone .i loaded samsung's kies site and followed there instruction and even when connected with the USB it took over 50 attempts for the phone/laptop to link up THEN when i thought i had it sorted and all my music was going on my phone from my laptop ..it stopped !! saying that the phone was not recognised {it recognise it to start with and i could play my music on the kids site but could not transfer from one device to another } tried with another type of phone ..no problems .it was found on the wifi settings and loaded music .anyone has any problems like this ??? thank you .straker

Upvote 0
Hi there straker,

What version of Android are you using? (menu>settings>about phone) On pre-ICS versions of Android Samsung phones came with "Kies mode" set as default. I *think* that was located under menu>settings>applications>USB utilities ... or maybe menu>settings>wireless & networks ... i don't remember, it's been so long since I've looked at 2.3. Anyway, you want to make sure USB debugging is OFF and USB connection is set to "Ask on connection" that way whenever you plug in your phone you have the option to connect as storage or kies.

Now, when you plug in, pull down the notification bar and tap on "USB connected" Then enable storage mode and approve the connection. Your phone should show up as a removable drive on your PC.

Another thing to look at is the cable. Samsung phones are very temperamental when it comes to cables.

Finally, if you want to try a different wireless option, people have a good deal of success with AirDroid.

Upvote 0
i have recently had the misfortune to purchase a galaxy ace on a two year contract .i too was given rubbish information ..and not being a techy minded person i listened to the B/S from the sale person .on all my previous phones i have been able to connect to my acer laptop via the wifi link .but not the ace the computer will not see it ..and if i connect via a USB the drivers load but when i come to load on my music {wma /mp3} they are rejected by the phone .i loaded samsung's kies site and followed there instruction and even when connected with the USB it took over 50 attempts for the phone/laptop to link up THEN when i thought i had it sorted and all my music was going on my phone from my laptop ..it stopped !! saying that the phone was not recognised {it recognise it to start with and i could play my music on the kids site but could not transfer from one device to another } tried with another type of phone ..no problems .it was found on the wifi settings and loaded music .anyone has any problems like this ??? thank you .straker

Play around with the phone, look on forums like this & before you know it you will be an Ace fan, believe me! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones