• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User-Friendly Guide to Fix my HTC One X

AndersonLow7

Lurker
May 29, 2018
Good Day, before I begin I would just love to thanks and appreciated fellow helper or reader to try understand my point of view being no knowledge or whatsoever with android platform things or any program software or hardware. So please kindly be polite and explain in a friendly matter to me. Really appreciated your patience.

I'm having difficulties to understand any forum found in XDA or AndroidForums on how to fix my HTC One X.

Problem:

I own a HTC One X many years ago but have been inactivate for a really long time because of some emergency I used it as my spare phone but when I try to on it for some reason it keep on looping in a exclamation mark with red triangle. (I read from forum this is recovery mode) Now I read many forum but I still do not get what is ABD fastlood Hloot or so on. My problem now is where do I start or begin on fixing this issued? So some information for you guys to work with. When I try to go to boot page (holding on and volume - button for like 3 or 4 second) bring me to a page where I believe is boot page.

- Top is highlighted written "unlocked" (not sure what it mean)
- Endeavour (some really long path)
- HBOOT- 1.73.0000
- CPLD-None
- MICROP-None
- RADIO-5.1204.167.31
- eMMC-bootmode: disable
- CPU-bootmode: disable
- HW Secure boot: enable
- MODEM PATH : OFF
- Jun 21 2013

Sorry if I am not much of helped but will be really appreciated if fellow helper can give me straight step by step what I needed to do.

FYI, treat me as a regular guy have no knowledge of phone or any software. Please kindly known I will be using a freshly new computer to do it so please guide me what to install what and so on to connect my phone to my pc or vice versa.

The simplest thing to try is a factory reset from recovery mode (I assume there are no important data on this phone). To get the recovery menu go to the red triangle screen and try pressing volume up + power together. Why HTC hide the menu in recovery mode I don't know. You could try just wiping the cache first, but a full reset has more chance of fixing it.

Beyond that it's really a question of why it's doing this. "Unlocked" means that the bootloader has been unlocked at some point, which might be helpful but implies that someone has modified the phone (or tried to, or thought about doing so) at some point. But if you've been using it for years it's unlikely that's suddenly become a problem.

If a reset doesn't fix it let us know. The next step would be to reload the phone's software completely (a reset just wipes data, nothing more), but that will involve a few more questions and steps, and I haven't time to go through those at the moment.

It's also possible there is a hardware failure of some sort, in which case nothing other than a repair will fix it.

Upvote 0
Perhaps this site will be more helpful to you as it includes some nice graphics along with instructions, this link correlates with what you've described:
http://www.hardreset.info/devices/htc/htc-one-x/recovery-mode/
Once you do get your One X running normally again, just keep in mind that it's a pretty dated model, from 2012. Apparently that phone will be running a dated version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, so if you plan on resurrecting this phone to be used as a daily usage phone note that there are going to be a lot of online services that just won't work out too well any more. The operating system itself is no longer no supported and apps for that time are just too old to be updated to work on that phone the way it is.
https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-4320.php
Also keep in mind the battery in your phone is really dated as well so don't expect too much out of it anymore. A smartphone battery, even when properly maintained throughout its lifetime, will inevitably lose its ability to hold a full charge as it gets older. But a smartphone battery, improperly maintained (i.e. left untouched for a couple of years), will have a drastically shorter life. The battery in your One X is not user-replaceable but with the proper tools and patience can be done:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HTC+One+X+Battery+Replacement/30964

Upvote 0
The simplest thing to try is a factory reset from recovery mode (I assume there are no important data on this phone). To get the recovery menu go to the red triangle screen and try pressing volume up + power together. Why HTC hide the menu in recovery mode I don't know. You could try just wiping the cache first, but a full reset has more chance of fixing it.

Beyond that it's really a question of why it's doing this. "Unlocked" means that the bootloader has been unlocked at some point, which might be helpful but implies that someone has modified the phone (or tried to, or thought about doing so) at some point. But if you've been using it for years it's unlikely that's suddenly become a problem.

If a reset doesn't fix it let us know. The next step would be to reload the phone's software completely (a reset just wipes data, nothing more), but that will involve a few more questions and steps, and I haven't time to go through those at the moment.

It's also possible there is a hardware failure of some sort, in which case nothing other than a repair will fix it.

I am actually having the same problem and I have the same exact model as well. But the only difference is that I actually tried to add a custom ROM and also unlocked the bootloader but somehow managed to F'd it up completely. Now I have got that Philz recovery software but don't know how to restore my phone back to its factory mode. Halp me plis. I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
For restoring to stock you need.to find a compatible RUU, download that to a computer, relock the bootloader, put the phone in fastboot mode, connect to the PC and run the RUU on the computer.

A compatible RUU needs to be at least as recent as the phone firmware and built for the same region/carrier as the phone was originally sold through.

I'm afraid I'm not really available this weekend to provide more help. Key questions are "what is the cidnum?" ("fastboot getvar all" will answer that, else work out region & carrier and Google to find compatibility). Shipped-roms.com & androidruu.com are good places to look for RUUs. Hope some of this makes some sense (googling the terms you don't recognize might help).

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
For restoring to stock you need.to find a compatible RUU, download that to a computer, relock the bootloader, put the phone in fastboot mode, connect to the PC and run the RUU on the computer.

A compatible RUU needs to be at least as recent as the phone firmware and built for the same region/carrier as the phone was originally sold through.

I'm afraid I'm not really available this weekend to provide more help. Key questions are "what is the cidnum?" ("fastboot getvar all" will answer that, else work out region & carrier and Google to find compatibility). Shipped-roms.com & androidruu.com are good places to look for RUUs. Hope some of this makes some sense (googling the terms you don't recognize might help).

Thank you for writing me back. I was on a vacation myself. Now I am ready to ruin my already ruined phone again. First of all my phone says unlocked on the top of bootloader. Secondly, I have got ENDEAVORU PVT with hBOOT 1.73.0000 (no idea what this is) along with RADIO 5.1204.167.31. I looked for this version for hours but I couldn't find it on your given websites. Can you help me get the right RUU please?
p.s
I have got philz recovery 5 (version 6. something) for adding and removing stuff.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-09-19 at 8.16.42 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-19 at 8.16.42 PM.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
EndeavourU is just an internal HTC codename for this phone model. PVT can be ignored, and HBOOT-1.73 is just the bootloader version.

So, first question: as you have a custom recovery do you want to install a custom ROM rather than returning to stock software?

If you want to return to stock you'll have to relock the bootloader (you can't flash an RUU while unlocked if you are S-On, and S-Off would be a complication too far at this point). Then we'll need to know your cid (which you can obtain using "fastboot getvar all"), or else what region & carrier (if any) the phone was originally sold in/by (unlocking, rooting, none of that makes any difference to the cid).

However, I can't guarantee that we'll find an RUU for that phone. The software is later than that of most people who were having trouble finding RUUs a few years back, so I'll not be totally surprised if none of the available RUUs work. If not then it's either back to the custom ROM or try to download and restore a nandroid backup of a stock ROM. There is an XDA thread on that here, but a couple of caveats: I've never used Philz recovery, so don't know whether it's compatible with TWRP or CWM backups. And while an RUU won't let you install the wrong software for the phone (as long as you are S-On) a custom recovery will, so best to make sure of the CID first and choose the newest one for that model. Also some of those are quite old software versions (even by One X standards), and I don't know whether one of the really old ones would work with the newer firmware on your phone. Finally I've not tested any of the links so don't know whether any of them still work. (Is that enough caveats?).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Alright so I did the getvar all and this is what I got:
(bootloader) version: 0.5a
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.73.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 5.1204.167.31
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.20.415.4
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) product: endeavoru
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-T30S
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4610000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__J15
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3829mV
(bootloader) devpower: 57
(bootloader) partition-layout: None
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: None
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 2
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.830s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, HTC__J15 is ARA (Middle East & Africa), and the only ARA RUUs I've found in places I know are much older than your software.

I did find what looks like an RUU that does match here, but I know nothing about this site. It seems to be a zip.rar, so I guess you unpack the rar to get the zip then use fastboot to flash it:

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip

(where "firmware.zip" should be replaced by the name of the zip file - or rename it to firmware.zip if you prefer). I've not done this with a One X, but with the more recent HTC One you'd have to do the "fastboot flash" twice - it would first do a partial flash, I think just the bootloader, and then stop (it will probably tell you it failed), then you flash it again to finish the job. When it's done a "fastboot reboot" should be all you need. You'll need to relock the bootloader first (fastboot oem lock).

Good luck!

P.S. Probably best to edit your post and remove the IMEI. Not good to post that publicly. I'd remove the serial number too, but that's less risky (the risk being people hacking a blocked phone to change the IMEI - giving them a valid IMEI isn't something you want to do).

Upvote 0
That was the one place I found that ROM (by searching on the version-main value from your post). But I didn't dig very far through the search results, it's possible there are others.

As for customer ROMs, look in the One X development forums at forums.xda-developers.com (I'm using my phone rather than laptop at the moment so linking isn't as easy). You have a custom recovery so should be able to install one.

Upvote 0
Alright so I did the getvar all and this is what I got:
(bootloader) security: on
the only thing is....is that you have s-on (security on). you can't do much unless you get s-off. so it looks like phone is not completely rooted. curious how did the phone get in this state? since you have a custom recovery did you make a nandroid backup before all of this began?

edit: sorry, but looks like the devs have figured a way around getting s-off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones