• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User Review: I bought one!

thisismetcalf

Nov 29, 2010
I feel I should start out this by saying that this is my first phone in four (4) years. I have been using the LG enV before I picked up this Continuum. So it's probably safe to assume that any Android phone could blow me away compared to that thing.

It wasn't long ago that Amazon put up all Droid phones from Verizon on sale for only $1.00. So I read into that heavily trying to figure out what phone I wanted. Based on tons of user feedback, features, etc. etc. I landed on the Samsung Fascinate. The larger screen, but not too large, Super AMOLED screen and functionality seemed to be right up my alley. So I went into a Verizon store and played around with it and really fell for it. But, then he showed me another Galaxy S phone. The Contiuum. At first glance I didn't want it. The smaller screen compared to the FS coupled with a more narrow body didn't seem like it was for me.

But then I picked it up.

Wow! It felt amazing! Now, I have smaller hands, not that small small, but smaller. Not large either. Anyway, in my hand, it felt awesome. I loved the curves and the nice back shell. It just felt...solid! I remember shaking the FS up and down, side to side a little and hearing little clicks and the buttons swayed a bit. The Contiuum didn't have that at all. And it's sometimes small things like that that really ice the cake.

Anyway, after picking it up I started playing around with it. I was torn for quite some time. I kept going back and forth. But I gave in and got to the Contiuum.The deciding factor was in fact the size. The Continuum just felt COMFORTABLE. The FS was not BAD, but for MY hand it was just a bit TOO large. I traded a slightly larger screen for comfort. And why not? We're talking about phones now that you're going to be doodling with for possibly dozens of minutes on end and I don't want my hand to feel fatigued at all.

Boy am I glad I got it.

I LOVE IT! Simple as that. The ticker screen on the bottom wasn't a real factor for me when I bought it, but boy oh boy is it freaking COOL! Turning on the phone for the first time at my own place I found myself extremely capable of navigating Samsung's menu system. Everything was easy to find, including all system settings.

The first thing I did was customize the ticker display. You can do this via it's own menu system under "Ticker Settings". I unsubscribed from some feeds that it had me signed up for with just the click of a button and subscribed to "Reuters" news updates as well as "ESPN" updates. Both options are pre-loaded onto the phone along with about 10 others, including weather, FOX sports, etc. etc. Then, the user can add custom RSS feeds as well. For example I have RSS feeds come in on the ticker from "Idontlikeyouinthatway.com". I also set the ringtone I want and I put it to vibrate as well. You can also set a "sleep timer" on the ticker display. So I set mine to 12:30am - 9:00am so I don't get interrupted from sleep to find out that President Obama cut his lip playing basketball.

The ticker is really really cool and it's what really sets this phone apart from all the others, obviously. It's got a wealth of uniqueness. For example, I loaded up about 50 songs already from an App that I downloaded and had them playing through the Samsung player. Then I navigated away from the player and into the web browser. The ticker then reacts and displays itself as the media controls! The basic "Next, Previous, Play/Pause" are all there so you can control the media while you play games or navigate the web, etc. What's more you can play/navigate and if a call or text comes in, it comes in on the ticker display! This is sweet because you are then not distracted and brought away from what you were playing/browsing. You can choose to ignore the call or answer it, and it displays the person who texted you and a snipit of the text itself. Very cool and multi functional.

In the "Ticker Settings" screen you can also set up settings for MySpace, Facebook and Twitter, among other social networking sites. So all the tweets you subscribe to can come in through the ticker as well as Facebook updates and what not.

When a news-feed does come in through the ticker, you can click on this "History" button that then displays all your "Events" that have been happening, like missed calls, texts, RSS updates, etc. etc. To give you a very good snapshot of what you may have missed. You can clear if you want, or leave it and get a rundown of the day's events at the end of the day or what not. Very neat.

Last to note about the Ticker screen, I think, is that it is similar to your main screen. For exmaple when you turn on the phone, by default it will be on a screen that shows you the date, time and weather. Then you can slide your finger across and it goes to a new screen showing you any messages, voicemails, e-mails, etc. that you missed or have new, slide your finger across again and it shows you the latest RSS feed and has that "History" icon you can tap to view all the "Events" I talked about earlier. So it really is like two (2) screens.

The screen is simply great. I find myself smiling at it as I play games or browse the web. It's just so vibrant! But I'm assuming you all know that given it's the same screen as the FS. I personally do NOT find it "too small" at all. The FS and Droid X are too big for me. I'm very glad I didn't succumb to the FS larger screen. Sure it's great to watch things on over the Contiuum, but I am so glad I reasoned with myself to get the phone that felt better in my hand.

The Swipe feature is great too. It rarely messes up on me. I can see this being an issue, however, with anyone that has larger hands. Would imagine it'd be kind of frustrating if you have larger fingers to get the words to come in that you want.

Setting up my e-mails accounts was a breeze and also very conveinent to have come in through the ticker as well. I set up my Hotmail in about 5 minutes and all new e-mails come accross within a minute or two of it being sent to me. You can also setup your Corporate e-mail as well (work e-mail).

The touch screen is extremely responsive. I really don't know what to compare it to since this is my first touch screen, but it registers even the slights tap.

Another small thing that I love is the power button placement. When I was fooling around with the FS I did note in my mind that I didn't like the side placement of the power button. The Continuum button is at the top, off-right. I think that is much more ergonomic than on the side and is just another icing for the cake.

Call quality seemed to be great as well. People came in very clear. Although I asked a couple people if I sounded more clear than that of my enV phone and they all said they couldn't tell a difference. I guess I just don't have a great speaking voice?

All applications that I have downloaded have been working fluently. Google Maps never messes up and neither does the GPS yet. Found my spots just fine.

I love the menu system too. It resembles what I have played with on the iPhone. Many call it a rip off of the iPhone almost to a "T". I guess so, it is pretty much the same thing. Black background with colored apps that you can slide your finger left and right and view more pages. Very very similar, but hey, if it looks nice might as well copy it?

Camera and video were amazing. Again I have to say look at what I had to compare it to, the enV. But wow they are sharp! I recorded some video in 720p and played it back on the PC and it was damn good for a PHONE! Very happy with both quality of pictures and videos. I also hear that a dedicated camera button is not on other phones, this one has it, and I'm glad it does.

There are a couple things that I found to be a little lame though:

1. Battery life. Now granted, this is my first new-cool phone in quite some time so I have been playing with it NON STOP for a week now and have had to charge it every night. I also do not have any Power Save function enabled, and I have it at max brightness (LOVE THAT SCREEN!), but I still thought it would last longer. It lasted about 6-8 hours of heavy usage. Charge time took about 3 hours.

2. Yes, it is 2.1. Again, it's not like I know any better right? Well, apparently when 2.2 comes out, the Ticker display is going to be utilized by a TON of more app's and websites that support it, or the other way around. In any case, it's a big part of the phone. So I want 2.2 NOW. Unfortunately I have no idea when it is going to be released. I have been told though that it WILL get 2.2, and that's what reassures me. But yeah, it's 2.1 for now.

3. It's been Binged? I say it like that because I don't understand what the big deal is. I already deleted all Bing references off my phone pages and only can "see" them when I view "All Programs" or whatever type of screens those are that list everything. Otherwise, I have Google setup for everything on browser. I'm not sure why everyone is so annoyed with the fact that it has Bing on there. Is it just because you can't get the embedded Google search bar on the phone screen? Meh. I don't mind at all I guess. Not a big deal to me. Buuuut, it would be nice to have Google embedded, so I guess it's a small negative.

4. Things like Twitter. I write this one in on behalf of other people. I, myself, only just began following the Twitter craze once I got this phone. So I don't have many followers yet and I don't subscribe to many people yet. HOWEVER, I guess if you are popular with Twitter, there is no way right now to make the Ticker activate ONLY when you get a direct message? Apparently EVERYTHING comes across the screen right now and it can become quite over-active. So they say anyway. But again, 2.2 is suppose to fix that and let you get more intuitive on what you want coming across. Just know that if you go crazy on what you want coming through, you could be inundated.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Please feel free to pop questions at me, I'll answer them all as best as I can.

Also, this is my first post here; so let me say HELLO TO ALL! :D

I also have gotten a continuum, and I can say the phone is awesome as well. The form factor is much better, but then again I'm 13 and have to deal with it in my pocket all day. Any way, the size definitely is better if you have smaller hands. I will say, I do think the screen could've been bigger, but it is a nice size. The battery is HORRIBLE, I had a fully charged at 7AM and by 3PM the battery was at 57%. I'm gonna need power management.
>.< So those are my thought on it.

Upvote 0
If you can get 6~8 hours out of heavy usage, max brightness, that's not bad at all. Lower your brightness and enable power save function, and see if how long battery lasts under normal usage.

I think those RSS feeds on ticker display could also impact battery significantly since it's frequently syncing to update info. Can it be completely disabled or can you stop them from running in background?

Upvote 0
re: your battery life comment....welcome to the world of smart phones! LOL

There is so much more going on in these new phones; there will always be complaints about battery life. My suggestion....always have a power source nearby. I have the Samsung Fascinate (and I love it!!) I make sure I have my car charger and I'm thinking about getting another battery to carry around (Verizon sells a spare with a case that charges it). And if I'm going to be in one place for a long time, I carry a regular charger with me or the USB cable to connect to my laptop. ;-)

Upvote 0
I also have gotten a continuum, and I can say the phone is awesome as well. The form factor is much better, but then again I'm 13 and have to deal with it in my pocket all day. Any way, the size definitely is better if you have smaller hands. I will say, I do think the screen could've been bigger, but it is a nice size. The battery is HORRIBLE, I had a fully charged at 7AM and by 3PM the battery was at 57%. I'm gonna need power management.

Also...I've noticed that some apps seem to drain more battery than others. I also have lowered my brightness level and I'm using the power save functions, but I'm not seeing a lot of extra time from my battery.

Make sure you are killing the apps if you're not using them so they aren't running in the background. That will drain your battery faster as well. I'm assuming the Continuum has a lot of the same widgets as the Fascinate. If so, try adding the widget that will show you what is running. within that, you can "end" most apps....but not all. For some reason, some of mine don't work. I have to force stop them in the settings menu.

to add this widget, tap on the soft menu button (far left), tap "Add", tap "Samsung Widgets", scroll down and tap "program monitor". This will work better than ATK (Advanced Task Killer....this is an app in the market) in my opinion.;)

Upvote 0
Also...I've noticed that some apps seem to drain more battery than others. I also have lowered my brightness level and I'm using the power save functions, but I'm not seeing a lot of extra time from my battery.

Make sure you are killing the apps if you're not using them so they aren't running in the background. That will drain your battery faster as well. I'm assuming the Continuum has a lot of the same widgets as the Fascinate. If so, try adding the widget that will show you what is running. within that, you can "end" most apps....but not all. For some reason, some of mine don't work. I have to force stop them in the settings menu.

to add this widget, tap on the soft menu button (far left), tap "Add", tap "Samsung Widgets", scroll down and tap "program monitor". This will work better than ATK (Advanced Task Killer....this is an app in the market) in my opinion.;)

Hehe yeah I'll have to get used to battery issues with smart phones ^^

The Contiuum actually came pre-loaded with an app called "Task Manager". Within this app I can "END" any program at any time, as well as uninstall any 3rd Party app I've installed.

Also, what's VERY nice is I can go in the "Settings" of the phone itself, scroll all the way to the bottom and there's a feature "About Phone". In this feature I can tap "Battery use" and it shows me in % what is using my battery! Soooo cool.

Not sure if either of these features are universal. But both are very neat.

Upvote 0
I think those RSS feeds on ticker display could also impact battery significantly since it's frequently syncing to update info. Can it be completely disabled or can you stop them from running in background?

So far as I can tell there is no "Turn off Ticker" capability. There may be an app for that tho.

However, there's a couple work arounds:

1. Don't sign up for any RSS feeds and disable all of those that come pre-subscribed (only takes 5 seconds to unsubscribe from them all). Then just don't sign up to get any in the future.

2. Set your "Ticker Sleep" for a 24-hour period. It won't ping anything to the phone and it shouldn't be looking for them either. At least that is my understanding of it. Because when my phone "wakes up" from "Sleep" it pings like 20 news messages that were sent out while it was in fact "Sleeping".

So that I'm sure will help battery life.

Upvote 0
You are 13 and you have a Continuum? Wow. I just got a used Eris for my 13-year old daughter and she is dancing around she is so happy. You either have awesome parents or your paper route is a hundred miles long.

Congrats. :D

Upvote 0

is that really so bad? by those numbers, your phone will be dead sometime between 12 and 1am without ANY power management. are you typically not home by midnight (where you can charge the phone) after being up and away from the charger at 7am?

Upvote 0
Some people trying smart-phone the first time have unrealistic expectation on the battery life from feature phone experience. The No. 1 complain on any android-phone user review is battery life, and often I see complains like it requires recharging every night! That's normal for smart-phone doing so much with wireless data.
If you need to only recharge yours overnight, you should appreciate good battery performance. But if your battery life is much shorter than that, there are number of things you can try to improve it. There are many helpful tips on it including this forum.

Upvote 0
You are 13 and you have a Continuum? Wow. I just got a used Eris for my 13-year old daughter and she is dancing around she is so happy. You either have awesome parents or your paper route is a hundred miles long.

Congrats. :D
I got my continuum on black friday for $87, and I do have awesome parents!

is that really so bad? by those numbers, your phone will be dead sometime between 12 and 1am without ANY power management. are you typically not home by midnight (where you can charge the phone) after being up and away from the charger at 7am?
I've rooted my device around 2 days ago, and I'm using set cpu now. Now my battery is much better. It's now at about 78-70% from 7AM to 3PM. I'm 13 lol, my parents would kill me if I got home that late.

Upvote 0
I got my continuum on black friday for $87, and I do have awesome parents!

I've rooted my device around 2 days ago, and I'm using set cpu now. Now my battery is much better. It's now at about 78-70% from 7AM to 3PM. I'm 13 lol, my parents would kill me if I got home that late.

hahahaha! my son would say the same thing if he got it. I almost got it for him, but the Verizon reps messed up and wouldn't give me the pricing. By the time I got the Vortex at another store, the Manager called me from the first store apologizing and said they could give me the Continuum for $100....but it was too late; we weren't able to exchange. That's ok. The Vortex ended up being ok.....he still thinks it's awesome and is bragging about his cool mom! LOL:D

Upvote 0
$87 seems like right price for Continuum. If it comes down to near 90 not just on black friday, it would sell well I guess. I was contemplating Continuum vs Vortex for sometime and just decided on Vortex. I know Continuum/Fascinate is more capable phone spec wise, but 2.2 froyo on board, sleek form factor and cheaper price swayed me to Vortex.

Upvote 0
$87 seems like right price for Continuum. If it comes down to near 90 not just on black friday, it would sell well I guess. I was contemplating Continuum vs Vortex for sometime and just decided on Vortex. I know Continuum/Fascinate is more capable phone spec wise, but 2.2 froyo on board, sleek form factor and cheaper price swayed me to Vortex.

I almost got the Vortex, but I was really swayed by the "hummingbird" processor. I do a lot of 3D gaming on my phone, and I need a processor capable of pretty smooth frame rates. I'm in the middle of NOVA, and I almost never have any dropped frames or stutters. Plus I'm ok with waiting for froyo, but in the meantime, I've got an awesome gaming phone!

Upvote 0
I almost got the Vortex, but I was really swayed by the "hummingbird" processor. I do a lot of 3D gaming on my phone, and I need a processor capable of pretty smooth frame rates. I'm in the middle of NOVA, and I almost never have any dropped frames or stutters. Plus I'm ok with waiting for froyo, but in the meantime, I've got an awesome gaming phone!

Then you made good choice I think. Right now, Galaxy S phones have the best 3D performance. I'm much older than you and don't play 3D games on the phone. But if I do care about 3D games, I would probably go for Fascinate if I could get the similar pricing as Continuum.

Upvote 0
Then you made good choice I think. Right now, Galaxy S phones have the best 3D performance. I'm much older than you and don't play 3D games on the phone. But if I do care about 3D games, I would probably go for Fascinate if I could get the similar pricing as Continuum.

I think the size of the Continuum was much better for me. The Fascinate's screen would be too big to deal with in my pocket all day at school. Plus, the Continuum's screen has a higher pixel density, and that made my games look even better!

Upvote 0
I think the size of the Continuum was much better for me. The Fascinate's screen would be too big to deal with in my pocket all day at school. Plus, the Continuum's screen has a higher pixel density, and that made my games look even better!

well good for you.
Curious, i was considering by a continuum for my cousin since she is on Verizon with her mother and she won't buy her a smart phone(but i will)

Is the keyboard the exact same as the other galaxy devices but just smaller?

Upvote 0
well good for you.
Curious, i was considering by a continuum for my cousin since she is on Verizon with her mother and she won't buy her a smart phone(but i will)

carmen you are tmobile now :eek:....you sure do hop from carrier to carrier and phone to phone...i wish i had that flexibility with my plans/phones :eek:

Upvote 0
well good for you.

If you're talking about a hardware keyboard, the continuum doesn't have one. The on screen keyboard is a tad bit smaller on the continuum, but swype fixes that problem. Any other portrait keyboards just feel too small, but most landscape keyboards are just fine.

Upvote 0
whenever another carrier gets a superphone or one that i prefer im always tempted to jump ship...but then i think of the etf and my wife not being too happy about it :eek:

Just a bit of FYI there are sites (like SlickDeals.net) that post when a cell phone carrier raises a certain charge. The new charge could only be a penny or two more than the previous charge but the consumer then has the right to terminate the contract with no ETF.

You see this happen a few times a year.

Example: "Verizon just raised their Gov't & Tax rate to $0.54 from $0.66, you can now get out of your contract with no ETF!"

You may have to do some explaining why a 12 cent hike would make you so unsatisifed to leave though, haha.

Upvote 0
Just a bit of FYI there are sites (like SlickDeals.net) that post when a cell phone carrier raises a certain charge. The new charge could only be a penny or two more than the previous charge but the consumer then has the right to terminate the contract with no ETF.

You see this happen a few times a year.

Example: "Verizon just raised their Gov't & Tax rate to $0.54 from $0.42, you can now get out of your contract with no ETF!"

You may have to do some explaining why a 12 cent hike would make you so unsatisifed to leave though, haha.

good tip, i think dealing with my wife as to why we are switching would be just as big a hurdle too :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones