• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

User Reviews + first impressions

It shouldn't. It only messes with your eyes when viewing a 3D pic or maybe a video otherwise there shouldn't be a problem and the phone is great I would go check it out again cause it's really a great phone.

that is why I am confused..

why would the e3d have any affect on your eyes/head.. if not using the 3d function?
hhhhhhmmmmm.........???

Upvote 0
How dod you like the Nexus S 4g, or should i say how did you like it?

I really liked the Nexus S, best phone I ever had...until EVO 3D. The phones are in 2 different classes so it's not a fare comparison.

for the poster who has trouble with the 3D, I too had issues with the 3D when I got the phone but I no longer have any issues with it. Maybe I was looking at it wrong or my brain/eyes just had to adjust to it but I'm golden now.

Upvote 0
???? really???

That's weird it's got more space and faster processor the sense 3.0 is awesome. The screen is great but yeah the 3D part can give you a headache.

Yeah. I was so on the fence about leaving HTC for Motorola, especially after the Photon was announced and seemed more fit for my needs. I was willing to give the 3D a shot at being my upgrade, once I got a chance to see it in person.

When I went into the store, I was actually going in thinking that I'd love it so much that I'd walk out with an upgrade from my E4G. Instead, I walked out with a headache from the screen. I kinda had a feeling that it'd be like that for me, since I always get dizzy watching or trying to play 1st person games. 3D in the theaters is okay with me because of the wider viewing angle, but focusing on the 3D screen without the 3D on, I could still see the added screen for 3D purposes that was throwing me off. Overall, the specs for the 3D are great (w/ exception to the internal storage and kickstand), but it wasn't enough for me to stick with the EVO line...especially knowing that I likely wouldn't have an easy time adjusting to the screen.

Upvote 0
I think it's important to note the screen is only in "3D mode" when viewing 3D pictures or video. Otherwise, the screen in indistinguishable from the HTC Sensations qHD-Super LCD display and quite beautiful in my opinion.

Yes, that's correct. Thing is, viewing everything in 2D does not mean that the screen isn't built for 3D viewing which means it's not "exactly" like the Sensation's QHD. I know for sure because I wouldn't have gotten dizzy using the screen in 2D. From certain angles, when you turn the phone, you can still see where the screen isn't quite like a phone built just for 2D.

Upvote 0
Finally got mine last night...coming from a Hero it's like jumping from a 486 to an i7. Only issue so far is I think I might have two dead pixels which are only visible when the screen is displaying black in that area. Don't know if it's worth the hassle of sending it back in since I ordered from telesales though.

there are some apps on the market that try to fix "locked" pixels .. try them first.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's correct. Thing is, viewing everything in 2D does not mean that the screen isn't built for 3D viewing which means it's not "exactly" like the Sensation's QHD. I know for sure because I wouldn't have gotten dizzy using the screen in 2D. From certain angles, when you turn the phone, you can still see where the screen isn't quite like a phone built just for 2D.
Well, you're are the first person on these Forums or otherwise I've heard that from. I haven't personally noticed any difference whatsoever in the slightest between the Evo3D, the Sensation, or even the Droid X2 (Besides the pixelation in the Pentile Matrix that Motorola uses). I'm sorry you had difficulty with the Evo3D & I'd love to see some additional information you might have on this anomaly you're describing.

I'd enjoy hearing from Novox or Early on this as to the technological ramifications of such a claim.

Upvote 0
Well, you're are the first person on these Forums or otherwise I've heard that from. I haven't personally noticed any difference whatsoever in the slightest between the Evo3D, the Sensation, or even the Droid X2 (Besides the pixelation in the Pentile Matrix that Motorola uses). I'm sorry you had difficulty with the Evo3D & I'd love to see some additional information you might have on this anomaly you're describing.

I'd enjoy hearing from Novox or Early on this as to the technological ramifications of such a claim.

I'm sure there are others that just aren't speaking out about it here on this thread. If you tilt the phone to an angle, you can see the screen effect that allows for 3D viewing when using that.

It's like those sticker holograms that used to be in cracker jack boxes and stuff like that where you tilt it side to side and then can see a 3d image. Same type of concept.

Upvote 0
I'm sure there are others that just aren't speaking out about it here on this thread. If you tilt the phone to an angle, you can see the screen effect that allows for 3D viewing when using that.
It's like those sticker holograms that used to be in cracker jack boxes and stuff like that where you tilt it side to side and then can see a 3d image. Same type of concept.
I'm trying to visually see what you're talking about by trying this with my Evo3D right now. I must say, my first thought is... why would I view my phone at this angle? :rolleyes: lol... My second thought was, I cannot see what you're talking about. I'm sorry, you must have better vision than me. I'll take your word for it. :eek:

Upvote 0

I just looked at the main screen, tilting it at various angles and I don't see the holographic affect. People are different, so what one person sees another person may not. I know my husband is color blind. He cannot distinguish red and green dots. Maybe it has something to do with the way one's brain processes what one sees...

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I just looked at the main screen, tilting it at various angles and I don't see the holographic affect. People are different, so what one person sees another person may not. I know my husband is color blind. He cannot distinguish red and green dots. Maybe it has something to do with the way one's brain processes what one sees...

That might be something to do with it. I'm partially color blind as well. And like I mentioned earlier, I get dizzy playing 1st person video games or even sometimes at the theaters watching 3D movies. Only thing that prevents me from getting too dizzy watching 3D movies is the focus area is wider, so my eyes aren't fixated on a smaller area for an extended period of time.

Upvote 0
That might be something to do with it. I'm partially color blind as well. And like I mentioned earlier, I get dizzy playing 1st person video games or even sometimes at the theaters watching 3D movies. Only thing that prevents me from getting too dizzy watching 3D movies is the focus area is wider, so my eyes aren't fixated on a smaller area for an extended period of time.

I can identify somewhat with what you mean. When we visited Kentucky Kingdom we rode a ride that as the camera moved, your chair moved. I felt kind of queasy after that. Also, I have to close my eyes going through the car wash (don't laugh!). For some reason, the car moving on that track like that and those big brushes coming at me just makes me nauseated. Having said that, I don't have problems at 3D movies or viewing the 3D phone. Strange creatures, us humans! :)

Upvote 0
GPS can be on without hurting battery. ONLY when an app request service from the GPS radio does it actually wake up and get info to find you. the rest of the time it is in sleep mode.

so.. because you have the sprint protection app running .. it is asking for gps coordinate every 30 mins... that should not hurt your battery that much.. only a few secs at a time.

then there are other apps that use GPS too.. maps.. movies... shopping.. searches...etc...
without the GPS on.. it will use tower triangulation, but that has an accuracy of 1-2 miles.

only when you see the GPS icon in the notification bar.. is when the gps radio is on.

i personally leave it on 24/7, but it is asleep

Upvote 0
Should I turn my GPS off? Basically, does it need to be constantly on? I ask this because I have the sprint protection app and it automatically updates my location every 30 minutes through my GPS anyways, so I didn't know if it always needs to be on. GPS seems to crush my battery life though
My rule is, if I'm not currently using it I turn it off. Most the time I just have the Mobile Services on and everything else is turned off. When I get home I switch on Wi-Fi and when I'm driving I turn on GPS. The drop down menu or the widgets make it really easy to turn these features on and off. ;)

Upvote 0
My rule is, if I'm not currently using it I turn it off. Most the time I just have the Mobile Services on and everything else is turned off. When I get home I switch on Wi-Fi and when I'm driving I turn on GPS. The drop down menu or the widgets make it really easy to turn these features on and off. ;)

you should look into some apps that will do that for you...

here is one I am currently using.. and it is free...
automateit
i use it to turn off and on wifi based on my location

Upvote 0

Just a thought...is it possible that your phone is borked and is stuck in 3d mode? Heard a few people having this problem.

Upvote 0
GPS can be on without hurting battery. ONLY when an app request service from the GPS radio does it actually wake up and get info to find you. the rest of the time it is in sleep mode.

so.. because you have the sprint protection app running .. it is asking for gps coordinate every 30 mins... that should not hurt your battery that much.. only a few secs at a time.

then there are other apps that use GPS too.. maps.. movies... shopping.. searches...etc...
without the GPS on.. it will use tower triangulation, but that has an accuracy of 1-2 miles.

only when you see the GPS icon in the notification bar.. is when the gps radio is on.

i personally leave it on 24/7, but it is asleep

Ah okay thanks for explaining that. So when i go to google maps it will not automatically kick my GPS on to get an exact location, but instead use tower triangulation? Therefore I need to turn it on before i use these types of apps right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones