• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help User Reviews of The HTC EVO 4G LTE

I figure it out but for some reason I thought it was different on the 3D I don't know why I thought I dragged the circle to snooze now I know why my snooze hasn't been working. LOL! It's snooze to the circle. Also I heard people talking I forgot which thread it's in but about this feature before the phone came out and I just realized it's gone. But can you not have the ringtone and notification sound separate anymore? I hate that! Is there an app you can use to make it work? I remember reading about it on here.

One more thing. Whenever I am home or at work or anywhere with wifi I always turned off my mobile network and just had wifi on. My friend tells me yesterday you don't have to tune off mobile network and that leaving it on the phone knows your on wifi and not gonna pull 3G. And then he said when you turn wifi off the 3G kicks back on automatically which I tried it last night and it did. He said he never has turned his mobile network off while in wifi. And I always have but am I wrong I don't have too? I for some reason thought turning off mobile netowrk while on wifi saved battery but maybe I don't have to turn it off. I haven't had any problems with wifi since I had this phone up until this am it now keeps jumping from wifi to 3G and back and forth. I wonder if it's my internet company cause the weathers bad out.

But anyway I am loving this phone and I can't put it down. My HTC hub has never connected to the server and HTC said it's down for maintenance and I just so happened to ask this lady if you should turn 3G off when on wifi she said yes but I don't know. Everyone here knows more than me. LOL! Oh and I called myself from my home phone and turned over my phone and it's suppose to auto go into speakermode and I have it checked and it didn't do it. I'll try it again.

And last but not least and this had been discussed so many times before but when you go to sync FB it ask you all or just your contacts but it never syncs just your contacts in your people. Why is it when you click on the phone icon and scroll down you see almost every person in there that's on your friends list. Why can't I have just my people synced to FB and noone else. I hate that and then sometimes I'll be emailing my friend Steve and I see all the other Steve's pop up with there email. Hate It! But Ok tie to go get ready for work. I haven't been able to put this phone down since I got it.

on my OG Evo with MikG ROM...
i use the alarm every day.
the snooze.. you have 2 options: "dismiss" or "Snooze" option.
you have to drag one or the other down to the circle.
dragging the circle up.. unlocks the phone and jumps into the alarm app.

Upvote 0
A serious Google oversight for ICS, for sure.

I know, right - and they did it on purpose.

Goes back to my fundamental software complaint - give programmers enough time and they will fix things that aren't broken.

Evidently, it was one of the first capabilities restored via custom roms when the Galaxy Nexus hit.

Upvote 0
I figure it out but for some reason I thought it was different on the 3D I don't know why I thought I dragged the circle to snooze now I know why my snooze hasn't been working. LOL! It's snooze to the circle. Also I heard people talking I forgot which thread it's in but about this feature before the phone came out and I just realized it's gone. But can you not have the ringtone and notification sound separate anymore? I hate that! Is there an app you can use to make it work? I remember reading about it on here.

One more thing. Whenever I am home or at work or anywhere with wifi I always turned off my mobile network and just had wifi on. My friend tells me yesterday you don't have to tune off mobile network and that leaving it on the phone knows your on wifi and not gonna pull 3G. And then he said when you turn wifi off the 3G kicks back on automatically which I tried it last night and it did. He said he never has turned his mobile network off while in wifi. And I always have but am I wrong I don't have too? I for some reason thought turning off mobile netowrk while on wifi saved battery but maybe I don't have to turn it off. I haven't had any problems with wifi since I had this phone up until this am it now keeps jumping from wifi to 3G and back and forth. I wonder if it's my internet company cause the weathers bad out.

But anyway I am loving this phone and I can't put it down. My HTC hub has never connected to the server and HTC said it's down for maintenance and I just so happened to ask this lady if you should turn 3G off when on wifi she said yes but I don't know. Everyone here knows more than me. LOL! Oh and I called myself from my home phone and turned over my phone and it's suppose to auto go into speakermode and I have it checked and it didn't do it. I'll try it again.

And last but not least and this had been discussed so many times before but when you go to sync FB it ask you all or just your contacts but it never syncs just your contacts in your people. Why is it when you click on the phone icon and scroll down you see almost every person in there that's on your friends list. Why can't I have just my people synced to FB and noone else. I hate that and then sometimes I'll be emailing my friend Steve and I see all the other Steve's pop up with there email. Hate It! But Ok tie to go get ready for work. I haven't been able to put this phone down since I got it.

yes.. you do not need to turn off mobile. i have never turned it off.
if you loose wifi, it will turn 3G back on. so you are loosing the wifi signal. bad weather should not affect your wifi signal. you are either to far from the router or other signals are interfering.

yes.. when you flip the phone upside down.. it should start the speakerphone automatically.

Upvote 0
I know, right - and they did it on purpose.

Goes back to my fundamental software complaint - give programmers enough time and they will fix things that aren't broken.

Evidently, it was one of the first capabilities restored via custom roms when the Galaxy Nexus hit.

Thought I was losing my mind. I love to have text silent but still have phone calls. I figure phone calls at 2am could be important, but don't need to be woken for drunk texts. First setting I looked for and couldn't find it. Also the camera shutter only being silent if I put the phone on silent. One oddity. I got a text phone # and I was able to long press it with alot of options. Wasn't that the copyright issue?

Upvote 0
I love to have text silent but still have phone calls. I figure phone calls at 2am could be important, but don't need to be woken for drunk texts. First setting I looked for and couldn't find it. Also the camera shutter only being silent if I put the phone on silent.

I miss the "facebook pop" sound that was on my Shift, that was my text notification sound and it's not on this phone. I like just a simple quick tone or two instead of some long thing notifying me of texts so it doesn't matter if it's the same volume as a phone call since it's short - but it would be nice if they hadn't taken that functionality away.

I also really REALLY want to get rid of that camera shutter sound - have you ever taken a picture of someone when they weren't looking (we have a woman at work who changes her hair color to slightly strange colors... blue, bright pink, etc) and if I want to take a stealth photo like that I don't want to get caught because of the camera shutter sound ;)

Upvote 0
I miss the "facebook pop" sound that was on my Shift, that was my text notification sound and it's not on this phone. I like just a simple quick tone or two instead of some long thing notifying me of texts so it doesn't matter if it's the same volume as a phone call since it's short - but it would be nice if they hadn't taken that functionality away.

I also really REALLY want to get rid of that camera shutter sound - have you ever taken a picture of someone when they weren't looking (we have a woman at work who changes her hair color to slightly strange colors... blue, bright pink, etc) and if I want to take a stealth photo like that I don't want to get caught because of the camera shutter sound ;)

The shutter sound can be silenced if you silence the whole phone. That's the only way I found, so you have to go that extra step to silence the phone, then take the photo..Maybe the 1st set up updates will fix these small things that users rely on.

Upvote 0
I always used the kickstand on the old phone to keep it off the camera. Became a habit after that.
It sits next to the laptop on the stand at night. If I grab lunch on the road I sit it on the table pop the kickstand and hop on here. Gets plenty of looks.

Anyone finding themselves using the kickstand to prop the phone up for no reason.... Like right now it is sitting on my coffee table while I use my tab to post this... Propped up on the kickstand for no reason other than I can:rolleyes: any chance I get to use the kickstand I take it... I was really surprised at how easy It was to open! I (I'm a nail biter), and at how sturdy it feels

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
The shutter sound can be silenced if you silence the whole phone. That's the only way I found, so you have to go that extra step to silence the phone, then take the photo..Maybe the 1st set up updates will fix these small things that users rely on.

And I could do that easily, but..... I don't want to :(. I do love how we can customize our phones but it helps if they don't take away functionality we know and love. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I always used the kickstand on the old phone to keep it off the camera. Became a habit after that.
It sits next to the laptop on the stand at night. If I grab lunch on the road I sit it on the table pop the kickstand and hop on here. Gets plenty of looks.

Actually, this reminds me of something I saw on an unboxing video and that's that the Evo LTE's camera lens is part of the back cover you remove to access the SD card slot. This means that rather than the process it took to replace a scratched lens on the OG Evo the process and cost should be much less with the Evo LTE. Just a new back panel and your camera lens is completely scratch free. I thought that was a nice little touch and have noticed lots of little things like that in the new phone that I'm excited for.

Reactions: Sauske
Upvote 0
Actually, this reminds me of something I saw on an unboxing video and that's that the Evo LTE's camera lens is part of the back cover you remove to access the SD card slot. This means that rather than the process it took to replace a scratched lens on the OG Evo the process and cost should be much less with the Evo LTE. Just a new back panel and your camera lens is completely scratch free. I thought that was a nice little touch and have noticed lots of little things like that in the new phone that I'm excited for.

Nice catch! Your vision exceed the norm! I realized that when I was playing with my brother LTEvo today!;)

Upvote 0

Unfortunately this is not true. While it may have seemed to be the way you describe initially during pre release and unboxings, it turns out the camera lens glass is fixed to the back of the phone and part of the self-enclosed camera sensor. The back panel has simply an empty port hole. (note: the glass is inset enough to prevent a majority of scratches.)

Nice catch! Your vision exceed the norm! I realized that when I was playing with my brother's LTEvo today!;)

Better visit the opthamologist.

photos below:
P1090444.jpg

6a00d83451c9ec69e201676677f949970b-550wi
Check out the FAQ EarlyMon did an awesome job with:
Official HTC EVO 4G LTE FAQ and Guide | Post #3

Upvote 0
Well my router sits on my desk and I was sitting here this am when my wifi kept going out and I would see the 3G icon. I was speaking a text and it wouldn't work wasn't connecting. My signal sucks in my house with out wifi on. But I am home from work now and no problems at all. It could of been my internet I don't know. I'll have to call my self again and flip the phone over. It didn't work 1st time I tired it but I had done it on my 3D before. I'll have to make sure it's checked but I am sure I looked 1st.

yes.. you do not need to turn off mobile. i have never turned it off.
if you loose wifi, it will turn 3G back on. so you are loosing the wifi signal. bad weather should not affect your wifi signal. you are either to far from the router or other signals are interfering.

yes.. when you flip the phone upside down.. it should start the speakerphone automatically.

Upvote 0
I haven't messed with what notifications came with this phone but download Zedge and the facebook pop should be there.

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0
And I could do that easily, but..... I don't want to :(. I do love how we can customize our phones but it helps if they don't take away functionality we know and love. :rolleyes:

Totally agree. I like the silent shutter. When I take a pic of my niece, she is usually staring at the TV. If it makes the sound, she looks and blurs the photo at times. Hopefully HTC will release an update that for in their first round of fixes.

Upvote 0

X3??? yes :)

We're dealing with a bit of an unknown entity here in that we're coming from Evo's that had atrocious battery life to what appears to be a much more polished interface and hardware and one that manages power consumption much more efficiently. I have to admit I was rather reluctant to part with my fully functioning OG Evo which I have had for two years but I made the plunge yesterday.

A BB in Northern Va had about 10 in stock and I was the third person there as of 1045 yesterday. Other than some failures to transfer over the contents of the MicroSD card the phone is amazing.

After reading so many comments coming from the old platform I can understand why some are miffed at the change in layout plus some apparent bugs. To me this was a big concern as well but after spending a few minutes customizing things, adding the settings app to the home screen for starters, adding the WiFi, Airplane, etc...widgets to the second screen to the left (just like on my OG Evo) and making a few more changes I have it the way I want it now.

I have an Airrave and did some comparison tests of upload/download speed with CDMA/LTE on and CDMA only on and found absolutely no correlation between the LTE radio being on or off. I removed the normal environemental factors as I am sitting 3 feet from the Airave and I have a -50 to -55 dbm rssi so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Who knows, maybe there is an issue but after 10 tests on each network setup the data was all over the place so I cannot attribute it to radio settings.

I streamed Rhapsody yesterday for 7 hours from this phone over 3G, plugged into a 400 watt PA and it never had an issue once. I used about 20% battery life over the duration but granted it was with the screen mostly off and the app just running/loading, etc... Had I done that with my OG i'd have been plugging it in even with the 2.6 ah battery. This thing is thin, stylish, beautiful to use and look at and I expect it will get better as patches and updates are released.

The one serious sticking point for me is the battery. It's wasn't a deal breaker but had me wondering what happens 19 months from now. As others have written we should see a battery kit for this which I'll utilize if needed. I never carried spare batteries around with me before as I just used my 5 ah battery pack to charge the phone and that will continue with me.

What impressed me most was talking to a friend of mine via the LTEvo to his landline yesterday. He thought I was using Skype over BB as the call quality was that good. After all this is a phone first for me and my job is to be reachable.

I know the handset will not please everyone and thats fine. I know there will be an occasional problem I cannot deal with and I'll have to wait until an environment condition clears or I obtain support. This is a complex device produced by fallible humans. There will be some problems. Even the justifiably loathed iThingy has problems.

In the 25 years I have been using wireless handsets I have never gone 24 months with the same handset. The OG Evo was the very first one and I suspect this particular model will continue with that new trend.

Winner winner chicken dinner :)

Upvote 0
A review after 6 days of ownership and 3 full charges.
I'm coming from the OG Evo (which I still love) with MikG 3.11 and Synergy. With OG Evo, I was getting 14+ hours a day stock and 23+ hours after root.
I have very high expectations for the LTEvo.

When purchasing I was comparing the specs of GNexus with LTEvo and decided to put my trust in HTC again.
In my personal opinion, this phone has met my expectations with camera and battery life.
I do love this phone a lot, but am jealous of Samsung Galaxy S3's 2 GB of RAM.

Pros:
- Crazy thin and sleek. There are a lot of nice physical details I really appreciate (aside from kickstand) like the screen.
The screen is amazing clear and huge. It looks very unique. Love the build quality.

- Battery life is awesome. Of course it depends on use.
Ex: One day I used a lot of Google Navigation with the screen on at time as well being in areas with bad reception. I got 10 hours out it.
Ex: This past weekend it lasted 3 days and 9 hours with light to moderate use for Gmail, Navigation, calls, SMS, phone, and browsing, .

- "Settings"->"Developer's Options" is a nice feature that may help in my app development.
I can set "Background Process Limit" and "Force GPU Rendering". So far I'm just testing as stock as can be.

- Taking burst shots is really cool but doesn't work on objects that move too quickly like a falling object or people running.
Someone walking is fine. The shutter noise gets annoying but pics get taken very quickly.
I love the camera app even with these quirks.
The camera is not easily scratched. To clean the lens you have to remove the top/back cover.
Going into Gallery to view photos automatically scrolls to the bottom with most recent pics.

- The physical buttons on the phone (power, volume, cam) don't require too much effort (like OG Evo) to press but are not too easy to accidentally press either.

- Sense is toned down and responsive with little to no lag.
I can actually ignore the bloated apps as I don't feel they are as instrusive to the phone's performance like on the OG Evo.
I also get to resize widgets on the homescreen (when applicable).

- Disconnects from Wifi after long durations without use.

- Good amount of RAM and all my tabs are usually in place from default Browser.
Default Browser can open up to 6 tabs

- Has an sdcard slot should I decide to buy one and insert.

- Allows 3 finger gesture for Media Link. Won't be using it anytime soon and can be disable.

- Can disable LTE (since we don't have it).

Cons:
- Ear piece above the "htc" logo is a lint magnet.
Will have to use not-so-sticky scotch tape to get them off maybe.

- I'm not a fan of any camera button but it comes in handy for burst shots and is easily forgiveable.

- Battery is not removeable.
My OG Evo's battery for 2 years doesn't hold a charge as well as it should between 60-100% and displays inconsistent battery life after a restart.
Will this happen to the LTEvo in 1.5 years? Who knows.

- Sense
The notification bar turns from black to transparent as I go back to the home screen from any opened app.
It's not a big deal but noticeable.

The change to the lock screen shortcuts are annoying as they must be matched to the shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen.
I wish I can make them independent.
Ex: You can put a folder (of shortcuts) in the shortcuts at the home screen.
When unlocking, you get shown the contents of the folder once the home screen shows.
I can see some people liking it, but it's not for me.
It seems more actions require an extra tap compared to the Sense 3.5 and 3.0

The "Recent Apps" button is flashy but not as helpful/functional as ICS.
I have to slide left to right one app at a time to close them.
6+ background processes = Lots of swiping to close apps.
This is not a big deal since you can just let Android/Sense handle it for you.

- Default browser likes to re-zoom itself after pinch zooming.
If you scroll down the web page it acts as expected.
If you scroll up the menu appears at top and bottom.
To avoid you can scroll down then up without the menus showing.
Another solution is to get another browser app.

- Little bit of light leakage if I look really hard and tilting phone facing down. Otherwise not noticeable.

Attachments

• Battery.png
    Battery.png
    380.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Battery 2.png
    Battery 2.png
    276 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
I just got back from a long trip and had trouble hearing the navigation over the wind noise in my crappy car. It did seem less loud than my old EVO.
I think however it may be an issue with the app. I just downloaded some free songs and they seemed loud, but now I'm not in the car with wind noise. On my desk the navigation voice seems less loud than the free music.
Also it seems to be loudest when it's on the desk in portrait mode with the kickstand. That makes sense acoustically. What I need then is a car mount with an audio reflector of some kind or Jerry rig something to hook it up to the car stereo.

FM transmitter or you can find a tape cassete to head phone jack adapter. If your car has a cassette player. If you have an AUX port in your car you could buy a connector for that as well.

Upvote 0
Swiping an item in the Recent Apps menu doesn't do anything except remove them from view inside Recent Apps. If you look at any other app that shows you all apps still in memory, you'll see they are still there. Even the built-in Task Manager app will confirm this.
I recall that in discussions relating to the ICS version of the Transformer Prime, swiping away will remove an app if it has been cached to the background (which is presumably different than in the regular background), but I can't say I've verified this.

Upvote 0
I am so far impressed with the phone, I would have liked to see them go a little bigger but nobody listens to me.

The only complaints I have are why they felt it necessary to switch the answer and deny, cancel and snooze and a few other buttons around, I have declined more than a few calls because of this. I also don't like the fact that the color tag on emails disappears after opening the email, I have five accounts on my phone and it was nice to glance and see what account it was from.

The only issue I have is with the alarm. I set the alarm, picked the ringer, turned the volume all the way up and the first morning it was a different ringer and quiet, this morning no ringer at all. Solved, apparently you have to set the volume in settings, using the volume toggle when selecting the ringer does nothing even though it shows it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones