• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help User Reviews of The HTC EVO 4G LTE

I put it back on the charger when my phone reached 22%. That was after 23 hours! Very nice battery life so far!

As for the HUGE issue of the lack of ability to access google voice search/commands, I went with a combination of Vlingo (3rd party app like voice search) accessed through Wave Launcher (3rd party app that is almost as convenient as a long press). This might just work out!

Reactions: dan330 and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I put it back on the charger when my phone reached 22%. That was after 23 hours! Very nice battery life so far!

As for the HUGE issue of the lack of ability to access google voice search/commands, I went with a combination of Vlingo (3rd party app like voice search) accessed through Wave Launcher (3rd party app that is almost as convenient as a long press). This might just work out!

Wow...excellent battery life!

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I'm glad you posted that legacy. I turned my LTE off this morning while playing with different things (mostly to see if there was a different in battery drain) and noticed that, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together. just tried it and realized you're right...... can anyone explain this? I'm close to Kansas city but as of today, I havent found any LTE service towers turned on yet...

Upvote 0
I did find out that under EXTREME use, it is possible to run the battery down to around 10-15% in under 7 hours. I had almost everything on and was HEAVILY searching the internet, had over 2 hours of voice calls as well as over 20 text messages, plus playing a few small game (reversi mainly).

Don't know what value it is, but I can say that even as hard as I am on phone batteries, this one is really good to have lasted that long

Upvote 0
Wow, you're right, I'm getting speeds about 500 kbps faster on LTE/CDMA than on CDMA only. Guess I'm going to keep that LTE radio on.

Setting this to CDMA only slows down my 3G. Speed test with it set to LTE/CDMA is at 1.45Mbps. With it on CDMA only - .22Mbps.

Hey Guys, I mentioned what you are reporting over at S4GRU.com... and this is what I got. I thought it was pretty interesting. Looks like there is a good possibility that LTE/CDMA mode may have the ability to increase 3G speeds.
:)

HTC EVO 4G LTE - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates - Page 30

Upvote 0
I removed the 32GB SD card from my old Evo 4G and put it into my new 4G LTE, intending to re-format the card. Before I could do so, however, Android apparently moved the entire contents of the SD card into a new directory on the card named "ext_sd" and created any new top-level directories on the card that it needed to. What's cool/interesting is that the various Android apps can still see the old picture and music files on the SD card as if they were in their original directories, even though they are now sub-directories of the ext_sd directory.

:) Many thanks! :)

That was the missing piece in our FAQ.

The 9+ GB space on the phone is now called /sdcard, just like your old physical card used to be. The external (actual, physical) sd card is now simply accessed via /ext_sd meaning - external sd. :) ;)

Upvote 0
I love the camera button, and I love the fact that holding it can open the camera app. I do not love that the way I tend to naturally hold the phone means I end up long-pressing the camera button often. I'll have to get used to that.

Also, this is the biggest phone I've ever had, and it's definitely the upper limit of what I feel comfortable with. At times the size is almost cumbersome. I'm sure I'll get better with it the more I use it.

Upvote 0
Anyone figure this out? It's not locked down on mine either, but it works great! Would love to be able to lock it down.

You must download it from foxfi.com/bin ....

FoxFi works great.

The recent Apps button placement is a nightmare. The most used function for me is the back button which all the way across the phone. I never thought I had small hands till trying to hit that back button.

My batt life wasn't great. I was at 25% by 1 pm using it moderately from full charge at 5 am. I was dinking with it a lot though trying to set things up.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey Guys, I mentioned what you are reporting over at S4GRU.com... and this is what I got. I thought it was pretty interesting. Looks like there is a good possibility that LTE/CDMA mode may have the ability to increase 3G speeds.
:)

HTC EVO 4G LTE - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates - Page 30

This may get me off the WiMax/LTE fence. I really do want a new Ltevo but just haven't been able to get past the thought of living with 0.13 mbps download speeds 3g offers in my area.

Greensboro,NC has decent WiMax coverage where I work and play but is currently not listed in the first or second round of LTE rollouts.

Hope these faster 3G speeds on Ltevo are true, and look forward to hearing more.

Upvote 0
Has anyone with the EVO LTE felt it to be "too big"? Any problems using it one hand? I've been waiting to get one for the type of postings I seeing here; sounds like it's a great unit, but in all honesty I'm a guy with small hands. I fear it's just too big for my paws and my pocket. Anyone felt like they wish it was smaller or is everyone with the phone just liking the size?

Upvote 0
Has anyone with the EVO LTE felt it to be "too big"? Any problems using it one hand? I've been waiting to get one for the type of postings I seeing here; sounds like it's a great unit, but in all honesty I'm a guy with small hands. I fear it's just too big for my paws and my pocket. Anyone felt like they wish it was smaller or is everyone with the phone just liking the size?
I find it much narrower than the OG Evo. That being said I find it tiny coming from a Crappy Samsung Galaxy Note.

Upvote 0
I find it much narrower than the OG Evo. That being said I find it tiny coming from a Crappy Samsung Galaxy Note.

Definitely not more narrow than the OG EVO.

I do find it a bit too wide. I guess I have small hands too (luckily you know what they say.) It took some getting used too. Then I remembered I went through the same learning curve with the Instinct and then Hero too.

Upvote 0
If anyone is curious, FoxFi does work on this phone in wifi mode. You'll have to go to the developer's site to download the apk, and allow for installation by unknown sources, located in the security section of the settings. The one weird thing is that although I changed the name and added a password to my tether, it still shows up as unlocked with the original SSID of Android AP.

Same here. Not sure why. I need it protected as I discovered on a recent field trip with 11-12 year olds. Got on the bus with OpenGarden open and couldn't figure out why download was so slow with such good signal. Then I noticed that twelve 12 year olds had connected to download music. 125mb's in about 10 minutes. Thank goodness for no data limits.

Upvote 0
Definitely not more narrow than the OG EVO.

I do find it a bit too wide. I guess I have small hands too (luckily you know what they say.) It took some getting used too. Then I remembered I went through the same learning curve with the Instinct and then Hero too.

It's just a shade over half the thickness of the Evo 4G and I think that's what he was talking about. As for the width, it's only 2mm wider than an Evo 4G so while it looks much larger it really isn't. Just has a thinner bezel and larger viewable area to get the extra .5" diagonal. The height is fairly taller than the Evo 4G but that's the largest size increase between the two phones. I can't say how it compares to the Evo 3D as I don't own one and didn't compare them so I don't have the dimension differences in my head.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones