1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Uses for a retired android phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by funkylogik, Jun 27, 2013.

1. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Nasa recently put two satellites based on Nexus S into orbit.
    anyone use an old android phone for anything cool/useful? Alarm clock, spy camera, etc... :beer:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

mp3 player

3. Jacktheplant

Jacktheplant Lurker

As clay discs for my shotgun

ghavas09 likes this.
  4. funkylogik

Lmao thats what blackberrys are for :D

ghavas09 likes this.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

use it as development device if you get into rom/kernel development. That way if you brick it, you still have your daily driver.

LilBit likes this.
  6. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

MP3 player and just entertainment consumption is the only thing I have really used mine for.

EDIT: oh and for nostalgia, nothing better than flashing some old Froyo ROMs on an OG Evo

LilBit likes this.
  7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

My OG Droid is currently being used as a radio for my Parakeets. It's hooked up to wireless and TuneIn radio, all day chatter for them to scream over :)

ronii and LilBit like this.
  8. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

Some people in the Warp forum are using there un-activated phone as a mini tab,
    even devved a rom for the purpose!!

9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

10. mikeca

mikeca Android Enthusiast

WOW! Hadn't thought of using for a tuner/metronome! Using mine as am MP3 player for the car that I don't have to worry about. They do function really well as mini tabs!

11. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

There are of course the usual donations to schools, seniors, etc.

As well as the home entertainment uses of an MP3 player, fitness, etc.

I can also picture using it for home security perhaps. Motion sensor and webcam built-in. Or at least as a drop cam.

Tracking device for your car? kid? (though without data it would never be too accurate.)

12. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Don't try that with a Nokia. It will survive the impact and then dent the sidewalk.

13. drmdrm25

drmdrm25 Member

LOL :congrats:

14. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

the only retired Androids i got are either crap or non-functional, and they make excellent paperweights right alongside the broken Seagate ST-225 hard drive taken apart :)

15. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

I have a neglected Optimus. Can I root it even though it has no phone or data connection? Just curious about bricklaying...

16. funkylogik

Lol a radio for Parakeets has to be the best so far. Have u tried them with a mirror app? :D

Whats a "drop cam" btw barry mate?

17. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Inexpensive webcams meant for surveillance. You can use them around the house to keep an eye on things like pets, kids, etc.

https://www.dropcam.com/

Davdi and funkylogik like this.
  18. nickdalzell

Using an unactivated phone works fine with airplane mode w/WiFi. In addition installing an app like groove IP will restore phone function via WiFi only if you have a Google voice account :)

A good way to repurpose tablets for those Star Trek fans is either placing large plexiglass panels with the tablets hidden underneath for instant LCARS Enterprise consoles, or repurposing them as PADDs

jefboyardee and funkylogik like this.
  19. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Door wedge. Samsung Galaxy S with busted screen. Quite good for wobbly tables as well.

20. funkylogik

I actually wish i had an old spare android. My worst android phone ever (samsung galaxy europa) that i used for a month as a very cheap stand-in would be fun to root now and overclock a custom kernel on it to see just how well (better) it could perform. Id maybe also use it as a spy cam to catch the cat chewing the leafs off my elephant foot (house plant/tree) :)

21. nickdalzell

For those lucky to have the large dash opening for the radio in their car, replace the radio with a tablet which fits, tether to a phone, mobile hotspot, wire in an external amp compatible with the headphone jack, instant Android powered car. Bonus, install Sherpa Personal Assistant and make the voice-controlled Buick Verano owners jealous.

funkylogik likes this.
  22. funkylogik

^^ now thats what am talkin 'bout :beer:

23. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

My old Flyer serves as my bedside alarm clock. :)

24. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Lets keep this thread a little cleaner, ya know what I mean? Thanks
    Thread cleaned :)

25. funkylogik

I cant remember what was written tbh but sorry if (probably) i was part of it peeps :beer:

Mikestony likes this.