1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using 4G tether for home Internet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ochenta, Oct 31, 2012.

1. awev

awev Newbie

My cable company wants to charge me more for just internet - $80 per month. By bundling I save about $30 a month, and just leave the digital cable box for tv sitting in a corner, I only have a DVD player hooked up to the tv. And I do have to speak with a customer service rep once a year to ensure I continue to receive promotional pricing.

I worked on a help desk for a modem manufacture years ago, and one of the two biggest problems for 56K modems was the last mile (the other being to many ADC//DACs in the line to the ISP), that was not operator error related. Newer copper phone lines can support distances up to 25 miles away from the telco office (switch center), while older systems used chokes, and that reduces the range that you can be from a switching station and still get a single that will work with a digital device. While the phone company can run a line out to 26 miles, it is the last mile (between 25 and 26), and just doesn't have the umph to get the job done. There is a company repacking sattlite service that has been advertising on my local radio station, if you don't mind scheduling downloads for bedtime hours you can do so without it counting towards your monthly allowance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download