1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Using a 5v charger on a 5.2v Tablet

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dmfw, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dmfw

dmfw Newbie

I have an Asus tablet that uses a 5.2v charger. Can I safely charge this type of tablet with a 5v battery, eg. the kind for portable charging?

Also, are there any issues you charge 5.2v tablet with a 5v wall charger?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Charging a 5.2 volt device on a 5 volt charger, probably not. It'll take longer to charge, but if you're in that much of a hurry ...

As far as using a charger of higher voltage than the original ... I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't make any difference. My Note 3 charger claims to be 5.3 volts. Under load it's under 5.2 volts. And it's charged a few LiIon batteries pretty well. (Some of them are older than the concept of smartphones.) But I'd try to use the original charger as much as possible. LiIon batteries are much better than back when Sony had that fiasco, but I hate talking to my insurance agent about the pile of ashes that used to be my house.

3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

I would definitely suggest to follow the correct amount of volts that is listed on the charger.

If you go below that which is on the charger, like in your case, you should be fine, just a bit slower to charge, however, do not go over because this will probably break the charger.

4. Demache

Demache Android Expert

Mobile device batteries are usually 3.7V actually....

I'm sure its fine. Its well within the USB specification which allows for a 10-15% tolerance of 5V. Its the mAh rating you should be more concerned about.