1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Using a Google Maps map for Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by killick, Feb 25, 2011.

1. killick

killick Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Anyone know how to plot a route and then use Android's Navigation follow that route? Maps created in Google Maps would be perfect-- those maps can be edited however you like. But if you send the map to the Android device and try to use if for Navigation, the Navigation program throws out the map and calculates a route using the original start & end points.

I know I can create starred locations and after passing each one, ask Navigation to create a route to the next one, but that's not wise to attempt while driving. Plus, if you use Navigation in this way, you can't see how far you are from your ultimate destination.

Does anyone here know how to use Navigation with Google Maps or with waypoints?

That's the main question. If you want a concrete example of why that would be good to have, please read below. Otherwise, thanks for your input!

Killick

Examples:

I am travelling up I-95 in US from DC to Boston. I want to go around NYC and the entire SW coast of Connecticut because it's so congested.

Or, you're a trucker and can't use particular roads or bridges because of the size of your rig.

Advertisement

2. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member
    None

I'm not sure its possible. I know you can alter the route - go to Menu > Route Info and click on the 3rd button - it will recalculate the route for you and give you 3 options at the top of the screen. I wanted to do the same thing as you but couldn't find any other way to do it other than this. Its the closest possible solution.