1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Using a Mic When Recording Video

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stuntman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was testing out recording some videos with my phone and found that the sound quality is quite poor. I was looking for a lapel mic to use with my phone when recording videos to improve the sound quality. I went to an electronics store and tried one out. I plugged the mic into the 3.5mm headphone jack and tried recording a video. I found that the lapel mic would not engage and all of the audio was still recorded using the mic on the phone. I could not find any setting that would make video recordings use a mic in the headphone jack to record sound.

Is this even possible on the Moto Z2 Play? Am I using the wrong mic? Do I need a special jack?

Advertisement

2. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010
    The plug is a 4 connector plug that supports stereo for the output and a mono input channel. A lot of lapel mics use just a 2 or 3 connector plug.

mikedt likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    ^^^^
    Yeh...you can't use a wired lapel or lavalier type mic with a phone. FWIW anyone I've seen who uses these type of mics for something like vlogging on YouTube, usually uses either a DSLR or GoPro camera, which you can use wired lapel mics with.

4. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010
    There are certainly some lavalier style mics made for use with smartphones... you'd just have to look at the right places ( Amazon or cellphone specific type shops )

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks, for the replies, everyone. That explains why the lapel mic I tried didn't work.

With the trend away from the 3.5mm jack, are there mics that use the USB-C connector instead?

6. rdsok

rdsok Android Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2010
    If there aren't now ( I'm uncertain as a quick search didn't turn any up ) there will likely be in the future but it also brings another probably even more important question you didn't ask up... Does or will Android have a driver available to use such a device. USB devices always require drivers to operate therefore it would have to natively supported within Android making it a less likely solution.

I'd recommend finding a 3.5mm jack mic that fits your needs for the time being if you want a quicker solution