• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a phone as a tablet?

tl01

Lurker
Feb 18, 2012
My son wants a droid phone to use as an iPod touch alternative. Can I buy a new android device and turn it on and just use it on wifi? I was thinking of getting him a Moto G unless someone has a better alternative. Also, I have read it is possible with CDMA phones... But is that the only option? Thanks!

Sorry... Posted in the wrong spot!

Reactions: MotoTurbo
Hello and welcome to the forums. Yes you can do that and run on wifi. The only thing if its no WiFi he will not have no carrier signal. Now I Dont know if you been informed about the shut down of CDMA so this would also work with gsm devices . either remove the sims or leave in and turn on airplane mode to shutdown radios and you can now run on just WiFi. But I do the same use WiFi and no carrier data .

Upvote 0
My son wants a droid phone to use as an iPod touch alternative. Can I buy a new android device and turn it on and just use it on wifi? I was thinking of getting him a Moto G unless someone has a better alternative. Also, I have read it is possible with CDMA phones... But is that the only option? Thanks!

Sorry... Posted in the wrong spot!
I actually bought a Moto G to use as an "iPod" great little device. Worked great for music and videos. And the cpu is good for today's New games. And yes you cN buy any phone and use as a wifi only device. I do believe you have to do a little trick to bypassed the activation screen on the Verizon moto g tho

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones