1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Using a prepaid card?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by hcted, Feb 8, 2014.

1. hcted

hcted Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2014
    Hope this is the right place :)

I have a Galaxy s4 mini on Sprint's network. Unfortunatly I live in a sort of small town now for college and my job, and they don't have any service out here (3g roaming). So I went to buy a Net 10 sim from family dollar to get 4g unlimated and turns out, neither does t-mobile (im assuming now they run off the same towers?)

So I guess my question is, what prepaid 4g service can I use out here (79830) for sprints network band?

I've been looking all over hopefully someone can point me in the right direction :)

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Have you looked at Ting?

I know they use Sprints network and they have a coverage checker here: Coverage - Ting

Welcome to AF, btw! :)

3. hcted

hcted Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks!
    And yep, plugged it in and the service pretty much makes a circle over my area :p

4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

If you don't have Sprint or T-Mobile coverage I would look into prepaid carriers using AT&T or Verizon. You can also get Net10 with Verizon/AT&T.

Are you hoping to BYOD your S4 Mini to a Sprint MVNO? Sprint wont let you right now because the S4 Mini is too new. I use Ting and they usually have to wait a year or so before a new device is allowed for BYOD.

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    If you don't get coverage with sprint, you also won't get coverage on any of their prepaid carriers as they use the same towers.

The real issue you are going to run into is that the S4 mini has radios specific to Sprint in it. That is to say youre going g to have a hard time taking it to carriers such as ATT, Verizon, or T-Mobile because it just doesn't have the hardware required to work on that network.

I'd call sprint and let them know you've just moved into an area without sprint coverage.

Chances are they'll let you out of your contract and you can shop around for what carrier is best in your area, and then go the prepaid route if you so desire.

6. hcted

hcted Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2014
    resolution is that sprint was cutting me off for roaming anyways so I went with Verizon in town. 80 a month for 2gb of 4g lte. Oh well