• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a US Sim to Access Market Questions?

antikryst

Apr 4, 2010
i have a samsung galaxy spica (1.5 by default) which i flashed to 2.1 (but i dont wanna root). i am also in the philippines so i dont have access to paid apps... just have a few questions.

1. can i borrow a US sim card so i can get access to paid apps via wifi? can someone confirm this? i also have a google checkout account tied with the account i use on my android.

2. what if i change phones? (getting a nexus one soon) how will the apps i bought transfer over? ive read that bought apps are tied to the gmail account you use... but what if im back with no US sim card with no access to paid apps on a new phone?

3. can i get an AT&T sim from amazon? (they have it for $10) anyone try this yet for use in a different country just to get paid apps access?

ok... so i have found available sims for t-mobile and at&t USA. $10 bucks a pop unactivated.

if i have these activated by a friend who is in the US... then have it sent to me abroad... would this work?

not really sure if these US sims could get signal and roam while in a different country...

... does the marketplace just check the origin of the sim or would it need to get a valid GSM signal?

Upvote 0
ok... so i have found available sims for t-mobile and at&t USA. $10 bucks a pop unactivated.

if i have these activated by a friend who is in the US... then have it sent to me abroad... would this work?

not really sure if these US sims could get signal and roam while in a different country...

... does the marketplace just check the origin of the sim or would it need to get a valid GSM signal?

You are going to have to make sure they will not charge airtime or roaming fees. Not entirely show how it works but some do (US telcos will nickel dime and f you any way they possibly can).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones