1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General using Adfree app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heshanj, Jul 20, 2011.

1. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i just rooted my phone and one of the main reasons was to install the Adfree app to remove all those ads, mainly from the apps i use. however, when i run it.. ads still appear in some apps. it works great for soundhound, dictionary.com, merriam-webster dictionary, astro file manager (u see the ad loading icon but no ads) but for some games.. mainly angry birds.. the ads still appear. angry birds is the worst one, coz the ads really intrude on the game area of the screen.

i installed the app, ran it.. downloaded/updated the hosts file stuff, and it installed.. and i turned my phone on and off

is it like this for everyone? does adfree just simply not work for angry birds and a few apps? or is it something wrong im doing? thanks :)

- i was wondering if i should post it in All things root or here. not sure

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

after more testing, it seems like it just doesnt work only on angry birds (the original one). all other apps which previously had ads seems to be adfree now. but like i said earlier, the ads on angry birds are the worst. i wish it'd work. anyone?

3. lob

lob Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Student
    London, UK
    Before I give you my amazing solution (;D) I just want to say that some people on this forum don't agree with blocking ads because it is not very good for our beloved devs that make the apps.

I can see where these people are coming from but seeing as I personally have NEVER clicked on an in app ad, I feel that they are just filling my screen for no reason. Just like how I have an adblock installed in Chrome: I have never clicked on a web page ad ether (At least not on purpose!).

So, sorry about that. Get an app called 'Droidwall' With this you can choose apps to be blocked from accessing the internet, thus from receiving ads. This will not work for apps with ads that need internet assess to work (Like for a news app) but it should be fine for games.

4. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

oops, sorry.. i didnt realise it was one of those topics :) thanks for the response. i actually found out about droid wall and already tested it, it works great. thanks for ur reply. this thread can now be deleted! lol

5. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    I have version 0.6.4 of AdFree (not the latest one) and it has been blocking all ads including on Angry Birds, AdFree said the pop-in ad boxes would be blank in games but they don't appear at all.
    Angry Birds version 1.5.3. yes, I'm refusing to update that too... Updates, lol.

6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Some ad-servers are pay-per-view rather than click-through, so just seeing the ad can return a small monetary reward to the developer.